Thursday, January 2, 2014

Fates by Lanie Bross

Fates (Fates, #1)
Release date: February 11, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: Fates #1

What if your destiny was to kill the one you love?

One moment. One foolish desire. One mistake. And Corinthe lost everything.

She fell from her tranquil life in Pyralis Terra and found herself exiled to the human world. Her punishment? To make sure people’s fates unfold according to plan. Now, years later, Corinthe has one last assignment: kill Lucas Kaller. His death will be her ticket home.

But for the first time, Corinthe feels a tingle of doubt. It begins as a lump in her throat, then grows toward her heart, and suddenly she feels like she’s falling all over again—this time for a boy she knows she can never have. Because it is written: one of them must live, and one of them must die.

In a universe where every moment, every second, every fate has already been decided, where does love fit in?


My Rating: 3 Roses

A lovely YA set in a world of fantastical mythology, Fates was a great read. It had its issues, but I still really enjoyed it. It was thrilling romantic, and had one hell of a cliffhanger. I thought it was a wonderful book.

Corinthe was a good heroine. She was very loyal to what she believed in, but not blindly so. She questioned her previous beliefs and knew when it was time to change her loyalties. And, when this girl believes in something, she believes in it fiercely, leading her to sacrifice quite a bit for it. I liked her. She wan't a brilliant heroine, but she was good.

Luc was wonderful. He was very protective of his loved ones and would go great lengths to keep them safe. So, when his sister was in danger, he was willing to brave a world he knew nothing about for her sake. I thought that was admirable. He was really sweet and proved that he was strong enough to handle a supernatural world. I thought he was great.

The romance was sweet. I didn't really feel in developing. It was more like the author was telling us that they were falling in love rather than showing that process through their actions. But, I still thought they were sweet together.

The plot was good. I wasn't completely hooked, but I was kept interested in the story. There were thrills and surprises and an ending that left me shocked. I'm curious to know what happens next.

The thing about this book was that it didn't draw me in. I liked the characters but they didn't engage me. I was interested in the story but it didn't get me hooked. I thought the romance was sweet, but it didn't sweep me away. And the mythology didn't quite sit right. It was confusing, to be honest. There wasn't much explanation, so I was left struggling to figure out what was going on. By the end, I was still just beginning to understand the full extent of the world the author created. All this made this book good, but not great. But, I still really enjoyed reading it.

Fates was a lovely YA paranormal romance. It wasn't perfect, but I did enjoy reading it. Despite my issues, I still really liked this book. YA romance lovers, I don't know if I'd recommend this book outright, but it's definitely worth checking out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


2 comments:

  1. I just read and reviewed this one this past week! And... I hated it. I was SO THRILLED to get a review copy of this book. But then I read it, and I was like, WHAT DID I JUST READ?! Like, I seriously don't understand half the things that happened - and I'm not one of those readers that get confused easily. UGH. I probably won't read the second book - it really depends on how I feel when ARCs/eARCs go out later this year.

    Terrific review, Farrah! I'm glad you enjoyed this one :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the plot was confusing and, like I mentioned in the review, I was lost quite a few times. I'm going to be optimistic and hope that the sequel is better, but we'll see. If it doesn't get better, then I don't think I'll continue the series, but, like you, it depends on how I feel when the ARC's start going out.


    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete