Thursday, December 26, 2013

Witch Finder by Ruth Warburton

Witch Finder (Witch Finder, #1)
Release date: January 2, 2014
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Genre: YA Historical/Paranormal Romance
Series: Witch Finder #1

London. 1880. In the slums of Spitalfields apprentice blacksmith Luke is facing initiation into the Malleus Maleficorum, the fearsome brotherhood dedicated to hunting and killing witches.

Luke’s final test is to pick a name at random from the Book of Witches, a name he must track down and kill within a month, or face death himself. Luke knows that tonight will change his life forever. But when he picks out sixteen-year-old Rosa Greenwood, Luke has no idea that his task will be harder than he could ever imagine.


My Rating: 5 Roses

A tale of a couple more star-crossed than Romeo and Juliet ever were, Witch Finder was a brilliant YA read. It was thrilling, romantic, and full of surprises. I completely and totally loved this book! It was simply amazing.

Rosa was a heroine with very few choices left. Her family is on the edge of poverty and her neglectful mother and cruel brother have no qualms about forcing her into a marriage she doesn't want. Even when the prospective groom had a cruel streak a mile wide. But, even when she was backed into a corner, Rosa was anything but weak. She was strong in facing everything that was going on and determined to protect those she loved and those who couldn't protect themselves. I thought she was a fantastic character.

Luke was also brilliant, but a bit of a conundrum. He was a bit questionable at first. He absolutely hated witches, ever since the Black Witch killed his parents. When he got the assignment to kill Rosa, he had no problems with setting up an "accident" for her. But, then he started to get to know her and realized that not all witches were inherently evil. And, in the end he made the right decision. He was determined to protect those he loved, but also determined to do what he thought was right. And, once he got over his witch issues, he was very sweet. He might have had a rough start, but, by the end, I totally adored him.

The romance was slow building, as Rosa and Luke first came to trust each other. The attraction between them was there from the moment they met and that slowly changed into something closer to love. These two were very sweet together, despite all the obstacles in their way. I thought they were a lovely couple. I can't wait to see what happens with them in the next book. Here's hoping they manage to get their happy ending :)

The other characters, even the horrible ones, were all well portrayed. Rosa's family was utterly horrible and I sincerely hope that I get to see their downfall. Sebastian, the man that Rosa's family wanted her to marry was confusing. It was never in any doubt that he could be very cruel. But, sometimes, he would act very nice and I would almost soften towards him. Then, he would do something horrible and I would hate him again. I really liked how he was portrayed and how he managed to get so many emotions out of me. All the other characters were also wonderfully done.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. There were tons of thrills to keep me on the edge of my seat, with Rosa and Luke each having to fight their own battles. There were some surprises in store, particularly what happened at the end. I enjoyed every bit of the story and the ending has me itching to get my hands on the next book so that I can see how things go for our lovely characters.

Witch Finder was a brilliant YA historical/paranormal romance. I loved every bit of it, from the thrills, to the romance, to the many surprises. All of it was completely amazing. This is a book that is not to be missed.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you liked it. I was a bit indifferent and had difficulties to write a review about it. I didn't really like Rosa and I thought the plot was a bit boring in between.

    Johanna @ Challenging Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were some parts that were slow, but, for me, the overall plot made up for it. And, if anything, the ending was thrilling enough for the entire book. If you're still planning to read book 2, I think there will be much more excitement, after what happened at the end, so maybe you'll like it better :)

    ReplyDelete