Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Raider by Monica McCarty

The Raider (Highland Guard, #8)
Release date: February 25, 2014
Publisher: Random House: Ballantine Books
Genre: Historical (Highlander) Romance
Series: Highland Guard #8

After consolidating his gains against the enemy English, King Robert the Bruce of Scotland sends his best soldiers to fortify the lawless borders. These legendary warriors of the Highland Guard let nothing come before king and country—except the calling of their heart.

Of all Bruce’s elite warriors, Robert “Raider” Boyd is the most formidable. A true patriot whose bare hands are a deadly weapon, Robbie is the fierce enforcer of the Guard, and his hatred of the English has been honed to a razor-sharp edge. But vengeance proves bittersweet when his enemy’s beautiful sister falls into his hands and he finds himself fighting temptation—a battle he badly wants to lose.

Lady Rosalin Clifford barely recognizes the rebel prisoner she saved from execution six years ago. Though her girlish ideals for fairness have matured into a passion for justice, Rosalin believes she betrayed her brother when she helped this dangerous man escape. Now her traitorous act has come back to haunt her. But she can’t deny the longing this tormented warrior ignites in her, or deny the passion that turns sworn enemies into lovers. Is the gentle love of a true English Rose enough to free Scotland’s most brutal warrior from a path of vengeance—before it’s too late?


My Rating: 4 Roses

Romance, betrayals, and political battles. We get all that and more in The Raider. This book was absolutely wonderful! It was a fantastic addition to a lovely series and I truly enjoyed reading it.

Rosalin was a strong heroine. Even though she had been cared for and cosseted her entire life, she had a will of iron and the determination necessary to get whatever she wants. She was also very kind and loyal to those she loved. I really liked her. I thought she was a wonderful character.

Robbie gave me a harder time. On one hand, he could be very sweet and he was intensely loyal to his cause. On the other hand, he could be an ass. He was frequently blinded by his general hatred for the English and that affected how he treated Rosalin. I could understand that at first, because he didn't know her yet. But, after he got to know her and saw that she was a truly good woman, I don't think he had a reason to continue his suspicions. He allowed those suspicions to make him be unkind to Rosalin and to almost destroy their chance at a relationship. The thing is, those moments when he finally let his guard down, he was downright lovable, so I couldn't help but still like him, even as I wanted to whack him upside the head. So, definitely a lot of mixed feelings with him.

The romance was lovely. Despite Robbie's hesitance, their relationship still deepened and they still fell in love, which I thought was sweet. And, the chemistry between them was there from the moment they met. It definitely led to a few hot moments.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. There were plenty of surprises as Rosalin and Robbie navigated the treacherous political battles. It all kept me riveted. I really enjoyed the story and I though the ending was lovely. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book!

The Raider was a fantastic historical romance. I really enjoyed reading it. Lovers of romance, this is a book you'll want to check out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment