Sunday, December 22, 2013

Mistress of Raghery by Raine English

Mistress of Raghery
Release date: October 27, 2013
Publisher: Elusive Dreams Press
Genre: Gothic/Victorian Romance
Series: N/A

On a storm-shrouded island, ghosts of the past threaten to kill again.

Sheeva Desmond always believed she’d marry for love. But when she’s left penniless after her parents’ deaths and her fiancĂ© cancels their wedding, she’s convinced love is a fairy tale. Desperate to find a way to support herself, she takes a position as governess to a troubled mute boy. She never expects to lose her heart to the boy’s handsome father. Or to become entangled in a deadly mystery.

Ronan Quinn, Master of Rathlin Island, spent years in an unhappy marriage. When his faithless wife threatens to leave him and is later found dead, he blames himself for not keeping her safe. He’s left with a hardened heart and a devastated young son. The beautiful governess he hires may have the courage to help his son and to heal Ronan’s soul. But a murderer from his past haunts the shadows and threatens them all.


My Rating: 3 Roses

A dark, Gothic romance, Mistress of Raghery was a lovely romance read. It wasn't perfect, but I still really enjoyed reading it.

Sheeva was a strong heroine. She had to deal with a lot and she stayed strong through it all. However, she did tend to be irrational and overdramatic at times and that annoyed me. But, overall, I liked her.

Ronan was great. I'm going to be honest, he could be a jerk at times. But, he was sweet and devoted to his loved ones. I really liked him.

The romance was lovely. Sheeva and Ronan were sweet together. There was a bit of spice, but they were mostly sweet.

Ireal was another major character. He was Ronan's son and he was really sweet. However, I didn't understand why he feared him father. I never got a reason as to why that happened, so it was frustrating.

The plot was good. I was kept interested the entire way through. The mystery was thrilling. I suspected a bit of it early on, but the full extent of what happened in the past was a surprise. I never saw it coming. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was sweet.

Mistress of Raghery was a lovely romance. I had my issues with it, but I still really enjoyed reading it. Lovers of romance, if you want a great Gothic read, then this is a book you'll want to check out. 

*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment