Sunday, December 8, 2013

Douglas: Lord of Heartache by Grace Burrowes

Douglas: Lord of Heartache (Lonely Lords, #8)
Release date: January 7, 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: Lonely Lords #8

Douglas Allen needs a home for his aching heart…

Douglas Allen, Viscount Amery, hates having arrived to his title without knowing how to manage what few properties he has. Guinevere Hollister is a distant family connection raising her daughter, Rose, in rural obscurity and stewarding the estate they live on. At the urging of mutual family, Douglas reluctantly puts himself in Gwen's hands for lessons in land husbandry and discovers beneath her prickly exterior a woman of passion and honor. Yet despite the closeness they find, she will not marry him.

Guinevere Hollister needs a champion…

When the powerful Duke of Moreland arranges an engagement between Gwen and his heir, Douglas knows the marriage is not what Gwen wants. In Douglas's eyes, Gwen deserves to make her own choices, even if she chooses continued poverty and disgrace over the love Douglas offers her. Douglas will take on their family, the meddling duke, and Gwen's own lonely, stubborn heart to ensure his lady's happiness.


My Rating: 3.5 Roses

A lovely read. Douglas: Lord of Heartache was a good historical romance. Considering how much I loved the previous couple of books in this series, I expected a lot from this book. It didn't quite meet my expectations, but I still really enjoyed this book.

Gwen was an okay heroine. She had the tendency to be shrewish at times, but it wasn't too big a deal. I liked how devoted she was to her daughter and how determined she was to be independent. Even though the determination made her push everyone away. I liked her, for the most part. She was a good character.

Douglas was better. I thought he was so sweet. He was a true gentleman, one that hadn't had the easiest time in the recent past. He was just wonderful. Sweet, honorable, devoted to his loved ones. I totally adored him.

The romance was lovely. I thought Gwen and Douglas were a perfect match. They balanced each other out and they helped each other become stronger. The heat between them was scorching. Grace Burrowes does an excellent job creating sensuous attraction in a way that is almost an art form, rather than just sex. These two were a lovely couple.

The plot was okay. I was kept interested the entire way through. This is actually a prequel to the Windham series and we see some of the characters as they were before the beginning of their stories. For some reason though, rather than making it more interesting to see those old characters again, it slowed down the pace for me. And the plot took a turn that made me so angry, I almost threw my Kindle. I had to skim ahead until it was fixed, after tons of heartache. For about the last third of the book, I was skimming, as opposed to the beginning thirds, where I was hooked. I still enjoyed the story, but that put a damper on my overall enjoyment. Overall, though, I liked the story and I though the ending was lovely.

Douglas: Lord of Heartache was a lovely historical romance. I had a few issues with it, but I still really enjoyed reading it. Fans of Grace Burrowes, I think you'll really enjoy this latest installment in the Lonely Lords series, and the cameo from the Windhams. Lovers of romance in general, I don't know that I would outright recommend this book, but I think you should check it out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Quotes:
"The weeks spent with you here have been the happiest I can recall. You have put warmth, affection, and meaning in the empty places inside me. You have challenged me, touched me, teased me, and confounded me by turns. Your generosity and strength put me in awe of you, your integrity and determination put me to shame. I love you, I will always love you, and I will always be glad I love you, come what may. Because of you, there is joy in me, Guinevere, even as we face separation, difficulties, and unknown challenges. You have no idea how much you have restored to me, and all I can do in return is offer you my love, little comfort though that may be." -Douglas.


No comments:

Post a Comment