Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey

A Breath of Frost (The Lovegrove Legacy, #1)
Release date: January 7, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Genre: YA Historical/Paranormal Romance
Series: The Lovegrove Legacy #1

In 1814, three cousins-Gretchen, Emma, and Penelope-discover their unknown family lineage of witchcraft. Beyond the familiar manicured gardens and ballrooms of Regency London, a dangerous, alluring new underworld visible only to those with power is now open to the cousins.

But unbeknownst to them, by claiming their power, the three cousins have inadvertently opened the gates to the Underworld.

Now the dead, ghouls, hellhounds-and the most terrifying of all: the spirits of dark witches known as the Greymalkin Sisters-are hunting and killing young debutante witches for their powers.

And, somehow, Emma is connected to the murders...because she keeps finding the bodies.

Can the cousins unravel the clues and mystery behind their heritage and power before their gifts are stripped away ...or even worse, another witch is killed?


My Rating: 5 Roses

Magical, thrilling, romantic, and full of surprises, A Breath of Frost was a brilliant YA read. I absolutely loved this book! Everything about it was amazing. I've read books by this author before and absolutely loved them. This book definitely doesn't disappoint.

Emma was a lovely heroine. After living a fairly normal life, her world was absolutely flipped upside down when her magic was released. But, she stayed strong and held her own, even as she was faced with things she never even knew existed. I really liked her. I thought she was a fantastic character.

Cormac was Emma's love interest and he was a total sweetie. Though he lived within the society of witches, he didn't have any magical power of his own. But, don't let that fool you. He held his own in a world of magic and proved that he was strong on his own right. He was wonderful.

The romance was on the light side, with the story being more focused on the witch issues at hand, but it still played a significant role. Emma and Cormac were so sweet together. They were both strong and they made one hell of a team. I thought they were lovely together.

The other characters were also great. Gretchen and Penelope (the cousins) were both wonderful. They were strong and clever and I really liked them both.

The mystery of why Emma's powers were locked up was brilliantly done. I loved how the story of her mother's past and why she did what she did was done. Her story was brilliant and heartbreaking on its own and it definitely held a few surprises. I thought that was wonderfully done.

The plot was fast paced. I was hooked the entire way through. There were tons of thrills and the mystery had me on the edge of my seat. I  never suspected who was behind the trouble with the Greymalkin Sister and why this person was doing it. It totally blew me away when I found out. I really enjoyed the story and the ending wrapped up the issue of the Sisters, while leaving things open for the next book. I can't wait to see what's coming up next in this brilliant series.

A Breath of Frost was a fantastic YA historical/paranormal romance. It had magic, romance, mystery, surprises, and thrills. I loved every bit of it! Lovers of YA, magic, or romance, this is a book you have to read.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one! I received an ARC too and I'm excited to read it as soon as I can. I'm always open for a fast paced book with awesome characters. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked another of this author's books and historical/paranormal romance is my absolute favorite genre, so I was bound to like this book. I hope you like it, too, when you read it!

    ReplyDelete