Sunday, November 24, 2013

Three Broken Promises by Monica Murphy

Three Broken Promises (Drew + Fable, #3)
Release date: December 31, 2013
Publisher: Random House: Bantam 
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Series: Drew + Fable #3

Breakout New Adult sensation Monica Murphy returns with a hot new contemporary romance—a heartfelt story of second chances, forgiveness, and redemption.

Commitment. That’s what I really want from Colin. Ever since my brother, Danny, died in Iraq, Colin’s done so much to help me, including giving me a job at his popular restaurant so I can leave my crappy waitressing job at the strip joint. But lying in bed with him every night to comfort him from his horrible nightmares isn’t enough anymore. I know he feels guilty about Danny’s death, about not going to Iraq, but I can’t keep living this double life.

I love him desperately, but he’s got so many demons, and if he can’t open up to me now, then he’ll never be the real partner I need him to be. I gave him a month, and now I’m out of here. If he truly loves me like he says, he knows where to find me.


My Rating: 3 Roses

A good New Adult romance. I didn't love this book, but I did enjoy reading it. The romance was sweet and super steamy and the emotions were deep. I thought this book was lovely.

Jen was a good heroine. On one hand, she was mostly likable and determined to become independent, rather than have to rely on others. I liked that she put herself out there to gain a relationship with Colin, which took a lot of guts, but wasn't going to just stick around and take it while he kept pushing her away. On the other hand, she was frustrating. Her quest for independence, which involved moving to a city she didn't know, with no job lined up, and no car, seemed more like a fool's quest. It was more like she was doing that whole production to prove a point, but I don't think accepting help from others is a bad thing. Also, that quest of hers hurt her friends and she didn't care, which I thought was mean. And, I kind of thought she was ungrateful. After Colin helped her get out of a bad situation, she wanted to leave so that he would follow, which just seemed like a petty game. She knew why he didn't want a relationship. It would have been much more productive had she just talked to him about it. Despite all those annoyances, I didn't dislike Jen. She was fine, but she just wasn't my favorite character.

Colin was better, though there were still a couple of issues. He was very sweet and the kind of guy to feel things deeply. When Danny died, he felt like he failed his friend and that has haunted him since. I thought he was adorable. I had two problems with him. 1) I didn't understand why he didn't just tell Jen what the nightmares were about so that she could help him. In this case, he wasn't being stubborn about not wanting him. He didn't want to involve Jen in his endless guilt. But, it was still annoying. And 2) I was irritated that he was just going to let Jen go. He even helped her find somewhere else to stay. Way to convince her to stay with you, man. Other than those two issues, though, I really liked him.

The romance was lovely. I thought Jen and Colin were sweet together. Their feelings for each other were obvious, but they had some serious issues admitting them. And, the heat between them was off the charts! Extremely, fan-your-face, sparks flying everywhere hot. There were definitely some steamy scenes. I think it can be easily assumed from what I've said so far, but Jen and Colin has some serious communication issues. They were determined to assume, miscommunicate, and flat out refuse to talk to each other. They were insistent on pushing each other away. It made me want to whack them upside the head, then shut them in a room together until they actually talked. That was really the main issue that bled into everything else and caused other issues. They really just needed to actually talk to each other. They got there eventually, but, until then, I was very frustrated. But, overall, I liked them together.

I had one final problem with this book, and that was Jen's whole quest for independence. You already know I thought it was foolhardy. I can't for the life of me understand why a sane person would leave a safe and stable home for an uncertain and unknown city, just to prove a point. Why? And, then the ending, or should I say epic flop, to that production was anticlimactic. She literally only lasted a few hours. And, she still could barely swallow her pride and ask for help. It just seemed unnecessary.

The plot was steadily paced. I wasn't completely hooked, but I was kept interested the entire way through. For the most part, I enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was lovely. I think that, after all that complaining, it seems like I didn't like the book. But, the fact that I still liked the book despite the problems I had with it, it definitely an extra point in its favor. Despite my complaints, I did enjoy reading this book.

Three Broken Promises was a lovely New Adult romance. I had my issues with it, but I still liked it. Lovers of romance, if you want something sweet, steamy, and emotional, then you might want to check this book out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Quotes:
"Lying in my bed, wrapped around me like a vine wrapping around a trellis. Her hands in my hair and her breath on my neck, making me feel so alive I want to tell her how I feel. Tell her what she makes me feel."

"I swore I would stand by Danny no matter what. And when I didn't do that, I promised my best friend I would take care of his sister. I promised their parents I would take care of the both of them. I lost Danny and wanted to save Jen-and I did so. But I broke that promise, too. I swore nothing bad would happen to her. Terrible, awful things happened to Jen when she was at Gold Diggers.

I failed on all counts"


No comments:

Post a Comment