Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Rebel by C.J. Archer

The Rebel (Assassins Guild #2)
Release date: October 23, 2013
Publisher: Self
Genre: Historical (Medieval) Romance
Series: Assassin's Guild #2

Cole's heart is dark.

He's a mystery, even to those closest to him in the Assassins Guild. All anyone really knows for sure is that he's ruthless, grim, and cares little for his own life. So when he loses his memory during an attack and thinks himself a naive eighteen year-old youth again, no one can really believe the transformation. But as his memory returns, so do the nightmares and the dark reality of who he has become.

Lucy's world is bright.

When gentle-natured Lucy falls in love with the damaged stranger, she thinks him a smiling, amiable gentleman. But rumors of a murder in the nearby village have her suspecting that her patient may be hiding a terrible secret.

Can opposites really attract?

What will happen when Cole regains his memory and his past catches up to him?


My Rating: 3 Roses

A nice, good read. I enjoyed reading The Rebel. Unfortunately, it was a little underwhelming as a whole. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

Lucy was an okay heroine. I liked that she had the strength and will to stand by Cole no matter what happened. She wasn't going to abandon him for anything. But, she was a bit of a watering pot. She cried so much, it became irritating. I've read a few of C.J. Archer's books and her heroines are usually tough and strong, without being shrewish, which is one of the reasons I usually like her books so much. Lucy didn't quite fit the bill. She cried for most of the book and she could really be a shrew. What annoyed me the most is how she got angry when Cole's old friends told him how he was before the accident: moody, private, and standoffish. She got all offended, saying they didn't know Cole like she did. Woman, you only knew him for a few days, in which he was acting out of character because of a head injury. What made you think you know him better than the friends he's know for years? She wasn't my favorite heroine, but I was okay with her. If anything, I respected that she would stand by what she believed in, no matter the cost.

Cole was, again, okay. I liked him and I thought he was a sweet man with a lot of depth. I felt like I couldn't quite grasp his character, though. He went from a ruthless assassin, to an innocent teenage boy, to a mix of the two when he regained his memory. So, I wasn't quite sure who exactly Cole/Nick was. But, I did really like him. I thought he was strong, clever, and extremely devoted to what he cared about.

The romance was sweet, not really much spice in it. I didn't really get into the romance, possibly because I didn't quite connect to the characters. But, overall, I thought it was sweet and lovely.

The plot was good. It wasn't particularly fast paced, but neither was it slow enough that I got bored. I wasn't completely hooked, but I was kept interested the entire way through. I enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was lovely.

The Rebel was a good read. It wasn't my favorite, but I did enjoy it. If you want a nice read to pass the time, then you might want to check this book out. 

*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment