Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Blacksmith's Son by Rebecca Thomas

The Blacksmith's Son
Release date: November 25, 2013
Publisher: Entangled: Flirt
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: N/A

Captain Quentin Drake returns home after his Naval commission ends to find a young groom being beaten in the village stables. Weary from his travels, Quentin only wants a good night's sleep, but refuses to turn a blind eye to the lad's mistreatment. He intervenes, taking the lad to his room, only to discover a woman masquerading as a boy.

After Ally Lockwood's family dies, she supports herself by assisting the local blacksmith with his horses. She's not allowed to do the work as a woman, so she dresses as a boy, but her ruse is up when, due to injury, she's disrobed by a handsome stranger. What starts as a shared supper, leads to so much more...


My Rating: 4.5 Roses

A lovely little novella, The Blacksmith's Son was an enjoyable read. Romantic and full of secrets, this novella was a wonderful read.

Ally was a great heroine. Having been falsely accused of stealing from her employer after seeing him with his knife embedded in a dead man's chest, she went on the run and hid to avoid being arrested. However, in this case, not all was as it seemed....but I'm not going to give away those secrets. I really liked Ally. She was a tough woman. My one complaint was that I didn't understand why she couldn't just accept Quentin's help. He was offering it with no strings attached and she definitely needed help, so I didn't get why she stubbornly insisted on running away from him. Otherwise, I thought she was great.

Quentin was wonderful. He was so sweet and determined to do what was right. He was strong, clever, and a worthy hero. I thought he was just perfect. There was some steaminess, of course, though it wasn't too much. These two were lovely together.

The plot was fast paced. I was hooked the entire way through. The truth of what really happened took me by surprise and I wonder if we're going to get another story out of that. We'll see. I really enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was lovely.

The Blacksmith's Son was a wonderful historical romance novella. I really enjoyed reading it. Lovers of romance, if you want something light and quick to read, then you should check this book out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review Farrah. I'm completely thrilled you enjoyed my story.

    ReplyDelete