Sunday, November 3, 2013

Gentlemen Prefer Mischief by Emily Greenwood

Gentlemen Prefer Mischief (Mischief, #2)
Release date: December 3, 2013
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: Mischief #2

It's going to take a dash of mischief to bring these two together…

If it hadn’t been for the haunted woods, Lily Teagarden would never have spoken to her neighbor, Viscount Roxham. Known to the fashionable world as Lord Perfect, to Lily he’s a man she can never respect…and the careless rogue who broke her fledgling heart. But sightings of eerie lights among his trees are causing her trouble, and she needs his help.

Intrigued by this prim beauty who was once an ugly duckling, Roxham agrees to investigate, though hardly has he begun when she mysteriously undermines his efforts. The mischief she throws in his path awakens his sleeping heart, just as his touch stirs a passion she can’t accept. But Roxham is the last man to whom Lily would surrender, and it’s going to take everything he’s got to win her love.


My Rating: 2.5 Roses

An okay read. Gentlemen Prefer Mischief was a sweet historical romance with an interesting mystery. I didn't love it, but I did enjoy it.

Roxham was super sweet. He was wonderful and adorable and just perfect. He's very lighthearted and a fun character. He could be as sweet as sugar. But, don't underestimate him. He was incredibly clever, which he needed to be in the situation he was in. He was the saving grace of the book. I thought he was great and I adored him.

But, Lily, I didn't like. At all. She was mean and judgmental and she really needed to get off her high horse. She acted like she was so perfect and she had to spend all her time on others. And, not in a good way. In a sanctimonious way that made her see all the fun in life as frivolity and everyone who had fun in their life as frivolous. And, the way she treated Roxham. She was so mean to him. And, I couldn't understand why. I couldn't figure out what made her hate him in the first place. Just because she had a youthful crush on him that he didn't return? She never even said anything to him, so it's not like he broke her heart. I just couldn't understand her issue with him. She was very unfair to him. Roxham was a gentleman at heart, sweet and kind. But, she was determined to think the worst of him. And, because of that, she hurt him several times. The only bright spot is that, near the end, she finally realized how wrong she had been and knew that she had to be the one to make amends. That made me soften up to her a bit. But, I still didn't like her.

The romance was sweet and steamy. Even though I didn't like Lily, I still thought she and Roxham were sweet together. Mostly because Roxham was so adorable with how he was determined to win Lily over. And, the chemistry between them was hot.

The plot was well paced, but a little slow in some parts. I was kept interested the entire way through. And, I thought the ending was very sweet.

I had my issues with Gentlemen Prefer Mischief, but I still did enjoy it. It was a nice read, but I definitely did't love it. I don't know if I would recommend it. I suppose, if what bothered me wouldn't bother you, then go for it.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


2 comments:

  1. Good review!!! The cover is so sweet and enticing, and I love the colors mixed in. I think that is one of my pet peeves is when the heroine is just mean and not what you expect. I don't know if I will read this one, but I think I will put it on my list anyway, since it does sound like a book I would like to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it when you read it :) This book might not have worked for me but I know a lot of other people liked it. I just didn't understand how Lily could be so mean to Roxham when he was such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete