Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Crystal Fire by Jordan Dane + Featured Freebie

Crystal Fire
Release date: November 26, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: The Hunted #2

Because of what you are, the Believers will hunt you down.

A storm is brewing on the streets of LA, one that has intensified since a tragic and deadly confrontation claimed an innocent life.

While Gabriel Stewart trains his army of teen psychics to stop Alexander Reese--the obsessed leader of the Believers--the fanatical church becomes more bent on the annihilation of all Indigo and Crystal children. They're silencing the voices of the telepathic hive, one soul at a time, with frightening experiments cruelly executed on vulnerable minds.

When the Believers torture a mysterious homeless boy, Oliver Blue, they brainwash him into betraying his own. The boy becomes a deadly pawn to take Gabriel down. As the fires of chaos burn around him, Gabe is running out of time. He'll need to confront his past--and the man who made him--before the hope of peace for the future is silenced forever.


My Rating: 5 Roses

Absolutely thrilling and a brilliant sequel, Crystal Fire was a wonderful read. It twists and turns that I never saw coming and I enjoyed every bit of it. Loved this book!

This book has a lot of characters, all of whom we get the POV of, so I want to mention them all. Quick note, though, in the first book, my only problem was the jarring transition between different characters' points of view. In this book, that wasn't a problem. Not only was the transition seamless and easy to follow, but I was engaged in every single character, which is difficult to do. Normally, with so many characters, I would only really care about a couple and, when a point of view from another character came, I would just skim. But, in this book, I was drawn to each characters' story and I thought that was really well done.

Rayne definitely proved herself in this book. She might be the only person without supernatural powers in the group, but don't let that fool you. She holds her own and becomes an even stronger character. I really liked her in book 1, and I like her even more in this book.

Gabriel went through a lot in this book, not the least of which was being possessed by a desperate spirit. And, with so many indigos around, he had to prove himself as a leader and train them all to use their powers. You can bet that he did all of that. He was a true leader. He took care of all the other indigos and found a way to strike a blow against the Believers. He was awesome in this book.

The romance between Rayne and Gabriel grew. It was really sweet to see how, even in such a chaotic situation, their devotion to each other was constant. They were just lovely together.

Lucas does a lot of growing in this book. Despite what he went through, he still clings to ideals and hesitates to use his powers to fight. But, he learns quickly that he has no choice if he wants to save his loved ones. But, that gentleness of his character remained and I really loved that. He was a sweetheart and I really liked him.

Caila and Oliver are two new characters we meet in this book, who have their own problems going on and a tentative romance growing. Caila was a great character. She will do whatever she needs to do in order to survive and to keep her loved ones safe. She might not have a mean bone in her body, but she was a force to be reckoned with. I felt so bad for Oliver. He was tortured and brainwashed and made into a weapon against his will. But, despite that, he was still a good person. He had to battle between his own morals and what he was told was right by the brainwashing psycho scientist. How does that battle turn out? I won't say, but I will tell you that it was pretty epic. The romance with these two had more obstacles than I can count, but their feelings for each other still remained, as deeply buried as they might be. I really liked both of them.

Raphael and Kendra's relationship grows in this book. Raphael gets himself into a bad situation, but, because of that, he chills out. By that I mean that he doesn't have such a huge chip in his shoulder anymore. He becomes more accepting of his situation. Kendra proves that she can hold her own and she becomes a strong character. The romance between these two was very sweet. I thought they were great together.

And, last, but not least, is the psycho scientist, Fiona. This woman is off her rocker, messed up in the head, psycho crazy. The things she does "in the name of science" are truly horrifying. I was so happy with how things ended for her. All I have to say about that is: karma is a bitch, isn't it, Fiona?

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. The thrills were constant and had me on the edge of my seat. It was totally unpredictable. I was never sure what was going to happen next. There were definitely tons of surprises that I never saw coming. I'm not sure if there will be another book, because the way the book ended made it seem like the end of the battle, not the war, if that makes any sense. I certainly hope there will be more because I am loving this series.

Crystal Fire was a brilliant YA paranormal romance. The romance was sweet, the thrills had me on the edge of my seat, and I completely loved this book! Lovers of YA, if you want something to keep you hooked, this is definitely a series you'll want to read. And, to fans of the first book, you will not be disappointed by this fantastic sequel. 

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a New Adult book that sounds great: Azure by Chrystalla Thoma. Go forth and get it for free!


A terrible mistake haunts college student Olivia Spencer. To escape the past, she travels to the Mediterranean island of Crete, hoping for the courage to start anew. 

By the sea, she meets sexy and enigmatic Kai. But there’s more to Kai than meets the eye — and nobody wants to talk about it. The locals shun him, accusing him of magic. Kai, apparently, belongs to the sea, no matter how crazy that sounds. 

Kai isn’t free to be with her or live his own life, and this is how he will stay, unless Olivia can break his curse and save him — in doing so atoning for those she failed in the past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment