Friday, November 29, 2013

Andrew: Lord of Despair by Grace Burrowes

Andrew: Lord of Despair (Lonely Lords, #7)
Release date: December 3, 2013
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: Lonely Lords #7

Andrew Alexander will do anything to protect those he loves...

After a tragic yachting accident leaves him wracked with guilt and despair, Andrew Alexander becomes certain he doesn't deserve to be around his own family, let alone the beautiful, forthright Astrid Worthington. He wanders for years, only allowing himself respite from his self-imposed exile when he thinks Astrid safely married. He returns home to find instead that the only woman he's ever loved has been recently—and mysteriously—widowed.

...especially from himself

When Andrew leaves, Astrid refuses to pine. She finds an amiable husband and contents herself with a cordial if unexciting marriage. But her husband's sudden death and Andrew's reappearance threaten to break her heart all over again. When Astrid's life is threatened, she finds Andrew will do anything to protect her not only from her enemies, but also from the truth of his dark past.


My Rating: 5 Roses

I have very varied reactions to Grace Burrowes' books. I love some, I only like others, and still others fall into the didn't like category. But, I'm happy to say that Andrew: Lord of Despair fell firmly into "I loved it!" This book was absolutely wonderful, romantic, and full of secrets. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.

Astrid was a strong heroine. She had a terrible marriage, marked not by abuse, but by neglect. When her husband died, she was left pregnant and not knowing how to feel about her much not missed husband's death. But, she dealt with it all and she was determined to do so on her own terms. I really liked her. She was a tough woman that was intent of taking back her happiness. I thought she was lovely.

Andrew was absolutely wonderful. I really liked him when we met him in the previous book, Gareth, and I loved him even more in this. He was so charming and sweet and determined to protect his loved ones. I have to mention that I absolutely adore Andrew and Gareth's relationship. It had sibling rivalry and teasing, of course, but it was never in doubt that, if one were in trouble, the other would raise hell to help him out. I thought that was just so sweet. But, back to Andrew himself. He had a dark past (one which took me by surprise when I found out just how twisted the reality turned out to be) and it held him back. But, even while dealing with his demons, he was a perfect, charming, super attractive gentleman that was utterly lovable. I totally adored him.

The romance was perfect. Astrid and Andrew were adorable together. They had already had feelings for each other for a while and those never died down. I loved how devoted they were to each other, both determined to help the other out. And, they were absolutely steamy together. The heat between them was positively scorching. I love how Burrowes makes these love scenes (as in her other books) both tasteful and hot enough to make you fan your face. I thought these two were a perfect couple.

The plot was fast paced. I was hooked the entire way through. There were tons of thrills as the mystery of who killed Astrid's husband and who was now trying to kill her. I suspected the truth of who it turned out to be, but it still took me by surprise how determined (and crazy) this person was. There were tons of secrets, with Andrew's past and with the tangle of who the murderer really was. I really enjoyed the story and I thought they ending was perfect.

Andrew: Lord of Despair was a fantastic historical romance. It was sweet, steamy, thrilling, and full of secrets. I absolutely loved this book. Lovers of romance, this is a book that you have to check out.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment