Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Gentleman 'Til Midnight by Alison DeLaine

A Gentleman 'Til Midnight
Release date: December 31, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin HQN
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: N/A

The complication they don't want…...

Lady Katherine Kinloch survived captivity once. Now the notorious captain of her own ship, she refuses to let anyone jeopardize her hard-won freedom. But on a voyage to England to fight for her family's endangered estate, Katherine is thrown off course when she unknowingly rescues celebrated naval captain James Warre…, a man who stands for everything she despises.

The passion they desperately need...…

Haunted by regret for his role in her dark past, James is determined to be more than the cold, calculating officer Katherine expects. Her seduction is his obsession, but his pride hangs in the balance if he gives in to temptation. And hiding beneath the scorching attraction between them lies a secret that could force the two apart for good.


My Rating: 1 Rose

I'm sorry to say that I did not like this book. At all. I hate having to say that and feel bad about having to write a negative review, but there is no sugar coating it. I didn't like A Gentleman 'Til Midnight. 

Both lead characters made me mad. Katherine was often just plain mean. I will say that I did admire her strength and desire for independence, as well as her devotion to her daughter, Anna. But, her tendency to act like a shrew took away the chance of me truly liking her. James was a jerk, most of the time. Again, he had a couple of good qualities. I liked that he was loyal to his loved ones and how sweet he was with Anna. But, he was mean, sometimes. It particularly annoyed me that he tried to court other women while he was infatuated with Katherine just because he refused to admit he had feelings for her. I could understand denial, but he brought other people into it and could have really hurt their feelings, which was just unfair to everyone.

The romance was frustrating. Katherine and James seemed determined to take every route except the simplest route to each other. And, they were so passive aggressive about their relationship. They were fond of assuming things about each other and acting accordingly, which obviously caused tension and became rather aggravating. They was absolutely no communication skills between them. Not one bit. They rarely talked to each other and said what they meant. It made me want to turn into a couple's therapist and convince them to communicate. It made the book slow because both of them would be super stubborn about holding on to their assumptions rather than talking to each other. On the bright side, the sex scenes were very steamy.

The plot was slow. The issues in Katherine and James' relationship really made the book drag. I almost thought they wouldn't end up together until, literally, the last couple of pages, when they scraped together some communication skills to admit their feelings (hallelujah!). It barely felt like an ending because I did't feel like their mountain of relationship issues were solved.

A Gentleman 'Til Midnight was not the book for me. It just didn't work for me. I didn't like it. I can't recommend it, but I've seen some people who really liked it, so if you really want to read it, don't let me stop you. 

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment