Sunday, October 13, 2013

You Are Mine by Janeal Falor + Featured Freebie

You Are Mine (Mine, #1)
Release date: May 6, 2013
Publisher: Self
Genre: YA Fantasy/Dystopia Romance
Series: Mine #1

Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.


My Rating: 4.5 Roses

Unexpected, but in a good way. You Are Mine was a dark, thrilling, absolutely wonderful YA romance. I really enjoyed reading this book.

Serena lives in a society where women are treated worse then even animals. Their only worth is bearing sons and they are strictly controlled by their owner. I liked her. I thought she was a strong heroine. Despite the treatment from her father, she still holds on to her pride and dignity and fights back when she gets the chance. I thought she was a great heroine.

Zade was the "barbarian" and the love interest in this book. He was so sweet. His society developed differently, in a way that treats both magic and women in a different (much better) way. And, he's been sent as a kind of ambassador, but his goal is much more important than just diplomacy. I adored him. He was strong, sweet, clever, and a true hero. I thought he was wonderful.

The romance was fairly light and very sweet. It developed slowly, as Serena came to gradually trust Zade. It was sweet and lovely and I really liked how it was done. I can't wait to see how things work out for these two in the next book.

I had only one complaint in this book. I don't understand why a society would get to the point where they treated women so badly. People don't even treat animals that bad, so what would drive a society to hold women in such a low level? Was it because of the magic that the women carry? Was their bloodline so important that it became the only consideration of a woman's worth? But, still, women have been treated like cattle in past societies, but never quite to this extent. I couldn't figure it out, and it irritated me a little. A society doesn't develop like this unless they had a reason. But, maybe that's just me being picky.

The plot was fast paced. I was hooked the entire way through. I was on the edge of my seat and Serena and Zade defied the standards of society and began to take it apart. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was brilliant. I can't wait to see what happens next in book 2, Mine to Spell.

You Are Mine was a fantastic YA read. I really enjoyed this book. It had magic, danger, thrills, and sweet romance. YA lovers, if you want something different and great, this is a book you'll want to read. 

*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have New Adult romance that sounds good: These Things About Us by Laura Beege. Go forth and get it for free!


Antonia is leaving the last shards of her life in Tucson behind to find her mother and start over. Turns out that's easier said than done. London is a pretty big city, a hundred bucks don't get you far and you can't just make your past disappear.

When sweet and caring uni student Wesley gets her a job and a room in his father's pub, Tony is unprepared for his older brother Trace who despises her at first sight. She's unprepared for someone whose secrets might be darker than her own.

Following a path of breadcrumbs and tangling up in Trace's past, Tony slips back into a world she thought she'd escaped the day her father went to prison.


No comments:

Post a Comment