Sunday, October 6, 2013

Romancing His English Rose by Catherine Hemmerling + Featured Freebie

Romancing His English Rose
Release date: September 9, 2013
Publisher: Entangled: Scandalous
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: Lady Lancaster Garden Society #2

Rose Warren and Simon Trumbull may have been betrothed since birth, but that doesn’t mean they have to like each other. Rose is sure the notorious playboy Simon will never willingly settle down, and Simon, well…he agrees. Never one to be forced into anything, he’d rather drink and gamble with his mates than spend time with the bookish, bespectacled Rose.

When the two are thrown together to investigate a potential poisoning mystery, neither expects the sparks that fly. Simon discovers that Rose is, in fact, a brilliant sleuth and—even better—hides a delectable body beneath her flowing skirts. Suddenly, falling into bed may be the best idea either has heard, but can Simon convince Rose his romancing is forever?


My Rating: 4 Roses

A great addition to a wonderful series, Romancing His English Rose was a lovely historical romance. With thrilling mystery and steamy romance, this book was definitely a great read. Loved it!

Rose was a wonderful heroine. She was so thoroughly likable. She was just a genuinely kind, clever, strong character that it's impossible not to like her. I appreciated that she wasn't one of the heroines in romance that was prone to dramatics. She was eminently sensible and that was another point in her favor. I thought she was lovely and I really liked her.

Simon was also great. He was strong, clever, and oh-so-attractive, with a little-boy mischievousness that made him very endearing. In a word, I would call him a rascal, and I mean that in the best way possible. He was sweet and adorable and I really liked him.

The romance was okay. It was definitely sweet and the chemistry between these two was on fire. I thought they were great together. But, I wish there had been a little more to it. I say that because, at the start of the book, Rose and Simon don't like each other, even though both of them have every intention of getting married someday. I wanted to see more of why there as an animosity (though it was touched on briefly, it didn't feel like a full explanation) and more of how the changed. Because, with the way it went in the book, it was more a Simon finally seeing  the light and realizing his fiance is actually pretty and kind. And Rose just accepting that. I wanted more depth.
But, for the most part, I liked the romance.

My only other complaint about this book is that it sometimes slipped into modern slang that was jarring in the historical context. It wasn't just a word or two that I could have ignored. It was quite a few words that most definitely didn't fit. But, that might just be me being a history nerd, so it might not bother anyone else.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. The mystery was definitely thrilling and had me on the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was lovely.

Romancing His English Rose was a wonderful historical romance. The mystery, the romance. It was all fantastic! I really enjoyed reading this book. Lovers of romance, this is a book you'll want to read.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review 
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a historical romance novella that I really like: A Ravishing Redhead by Jillian Eaton. Go forth and get it for free!



On her wedding night Margaret’s husband took something infinitely precious from her before he disappeared to parts unknown… No, not her virginity. Her dowry! Now she is stuck at his rundown estate without a penny to her name and enough time on her hands to think up a thousand different ways to get revenge against the man who duped her and dumped her.

Henry saw only one way out of his family's gambling debts: to marry a wealthy heiress. Now after nearly a year spent abroad recouping his losses and building a new fortune, he can only vaguely recall what his wife looks like. He remembers her as a sweet, shy girl with beautiful auburn hair and lovely blue eyes. Who then is this entrancing red haired hellion that dresses like a man and swears like a sailor?

Greed and secrets tore them apart. Now fate has brought them back together. Can two strangers find love after marriage? Or will their differences prove too difficult to overcome despite their sizzling chemistry? Find out in "A Ravishing Redhead", the second novella in the Wedded Women Quartet!


No comments:

Post a Comment