Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pawn by Aimee Carter

Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
Release date: November 26, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: YA Dystopia Romance
Series: The Blackcoat Rebellion #1

YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.


My Rating: 4 Roses

Thrilling, romantic, and full of secrets and betrayals, Pawn was a wild ride of a book. And I loved it! It was absolutely wonderful. I really enjoyed reading this book.

Kitty was a strong heroine. I liked that her reactions were believable. When she heard of a rebellion that, if she joined, would put her life in danger, she wasn't about to go near that. I think that's a realistic reaction, which made Kitty seem more real. Of course, when she found out what was at stake, she knew she had to join for everyone's sake. She was likable and I thought she was a great character.

There wasn't a clear love interest in this book, but neither was there a love triangle. Kitty, when she was still Kitty and not Lila, had a boyfriend, Benji. Though, at first, she has to let him go, he joins the loop later on, so he's still part of her life. He's very sweet and devoted to Kitty. I thought he was adorable.

Then, there's Lila's fiance, Knox, who is now Kitty's fiance. There were stirrings of romance between him and Kitty, but they didn't go very far. Knox was also wonderful. He's very sweet and determined to set the world to rights. But, he won't stoop to the government's level to do that. He was very honorable to the core. I really liked him.

As for the romance, it was light in this book, the focus being more on the rebellion. And, as I said, it wasn't clear who the love  interest would be. So, we'll see how it goes in the later books.

The world building was great. It was a little confusing at first, because we were having the new terms being thrown around and little explanation. So, I was a little lost in the beginning. But, later, it picks up, and things start to make more sense. The world that was created was dark, controlled, and very interesting. I look forward to seeing more of it.

The plot was fast paced. I was kept interested the entire way through. There were a few parts that were a bit slow, but they were few and far between, so it wasn't a bother. There were plenty of secrets, surprises, and betrayals that kept me on the edge of my seat. There were quite a few shockers that I never saw coming. The really enjoyed the story and the ending has me anxious for book 2.

Pawn was a fantastic YA dystopia. It was thrilling, romantic, and full of surprises. YA lovers, if you want something that will keep you hooked, then you have to check this book out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Quotes:
"Your pawn becomes a queen." She touched by cheek, her fingers cold as ice. "Because they kept moving forward and triumphed against all odds, they become the most powerful piece in the game. Never forget that, all right? Never forget the potential one solitary pawn has to change the entire game." -Celia


2 comments:

  1. I agree that Kitty seemed real. That's good and all, but I prefer my heroins to be braver than that...even if it isn't all that realistic -- haha! But, I liked Kitty overall and really enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like braver heroines, as well, but I think it worked in this case. Glad you liked this book, too!

    ReplyDelete