Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Once She Was Tempted by Anne Barton + Featured Freebie

Once She Was Tempted (Honeycote, #2)
Release date: October 29, 2013
Publisher: Forever
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: Honeycote #2

A Portrait of a Lady

…or is it? The risqué painting owned by Benjamin Elliot, the Earl of Foxburn, features a stunning beauty with sapphire eyes, golden hair, and creamy skin. Ben recognizes this particular English rose the instant he meets her—though she's wearing considerably more clothing. In person, the demure debutante is even more irresistible…

In desperate need of money for her sick mother, Daphne Honeycote had posed for two scandalous portraits. Now she must hide her secret to save the Honeycote family name. Ben's possession of one painting makes him an insufferable thorn in her side—and yet he may be her best chance at finding the canvas's companion. As she becomes drawn to the dark-tempered earl, can Daphne risk laying bare the secrets of her heart?


My Rating: 5 Roses

A proper lady, a scandalous painting, and an unapologetic rake. Put those together, add some sweet and steamy romance, and we have this lovely book. Once She Was Tempted was a fantastic historical romance! I really enjoyed reading it. I thought it was a wonderful read.

Daphne was a strong heroine. For one, she risked her reputation in order to help her family. Considering how a girl's reputation meant everything, that was a marker of how loyal she was to her loved ones. And, when the threat of her paintings being found became a huge problem, she dealt with it all and refused to back down, even to a nasty bully of a "gentleman." She had some serious guts, especially with what happened at the end. She was a force to be reckoned with. I really liked her. I thought she was a great character.

Ben was also wonderful, though he doesn't start off that way. When he first meet him, he's kind of an ass. But, an ass with good intentions, which made all the difference. And, over the course of the book, we see him softening as he fell in love. He was very sweet and devoted to those he cared about. And he was very clever, particularly in how he solved the issue at hand. I adored him. I thought he was a perfectly flawed hero.

The romance was lovely. Daphne and Ben were sweet together. Their feelings for each other were obvious and they didn't waste time in denying them. And, the chemistry between then was hot. There were some steamy moments over the course of this book. These two were a perfect couple.

The plot was fast paced. I was hooked the entire way through. The issue of how Daphne and Ben would keep the paintings hidden had me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't guess how that would work out so it was a surprise for me. I really enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was lovely.

Once She Was Tempted was a fantastic historical romance. I loved this book! It was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Lovers of romance, you need to read this book.

*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment