Thursday, October 24, 2013

Olivia Twisted by Vivi Barnes

Olivia Twisted
Release date: November 5, 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance/ Retelling
Series: N/A

Olivia

He tilts my chin up so my eyes meet his, his thumb brushing lightly across my lips. I close my eyes. I know Z is trouble. I know that being with him is going to get me into trouble. I don’t care.

At least at this moment, I don’t care.


Tossed from foster home to foster home, Olivia’s seen a lot in her sixteen years. She’s hardened, sure, though mostly just wants to fly under the radar until graduation. But her natural ability with computers catches the eye of Z, a mysterious guy at her new school. Soon, Z has brought Liv into his team of hacker elite—break into a few bank accounts, and voila, he drives a motorcycle. Follow his lead, and Olivia might even be able to escape from her oppressive foster parents. As Olivia and Z grow closer, though, so does the watchful eye of Bill Sykes, Z’s boss. And he’s got bigger plans for Liv…

Z

I can picture Liv’s face: wide-eyed, trusting. Her smooth lips that taste like strawberry Fanta.

It was just a kiss. That’s all. She’s just like any other girl.

Except that she’s not.


Thanks to Z, Olivia’s about to get twisted.


My Rating: 4 Roses

Thrilling, romantic,and very twisted, Olivia Twisted was a fantastic YA retelling. I really enjoyed reading this awesome book.

Going into this book, I was a little unsure. I didn't know how a retelling of Oliver Twist would work. But, it turned out to be pretty awesome. The author managed to turn an old classic into a modern tale.

Olivia was a lovely heroine. She hasn't had the best life, from her druggie mother, to her hopping from foster home to foster home. But, she was still a genuinely good person. She had values that she couldn't compromise, which I think made her an admirable character. I really liked her.

Z was complicated. He delights in his criminal activities, seeing absolutely nothing wrong with them. To his perspective, it's basically like Robin Hood, taking from the rich and giving to the poor. And, he's manipulated people into the web, then left them to fend for themselves. But, he wasn't a bad person. At least, not once he met Olivia Olivia reminded him of...goodness, I guess you could say. She made him rethink his life and see it from a different perspective. He was a morally shaky character. But, I still really liked him. I thought he was great.

The romance was fairly light. It was very sweet. Even though Olivia and Z barely touched each other, besides a few kisses, the feelings were constantly there and it was really adorable. I thought these two were lovely together.

The plot was fast paced. I was kept interested the entire way through, but I was never completely hooked. However, I still really enjoyed the story and I thought the ending was perfect.

Olivia Twisted was a wonderful YA retelling. It was thrilling, romantic, and a really enjoyable read. YA lovers, if you want something that will keep you on the edge of  your seat, then you should give this book a try.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


No comments:

Post a Comment