Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Lady in Red by Maire Claremont

Lady in Red (Mad Passions, #2)
Release date: October 1, 2013
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Genre: Historical (Victorian) Romance
Series: Mad Passions #2

The Victorian era was full of majestic beauty and scandalous secrets—a time when corsets were the least of a woman’s restrictions, and men could kill or be killed in the name of honor…

Lady Mary Darrel should be the envy of London. Instead, all society believes her dead. For Mary holds a secret so dangerous, her father chose to keep her locked away…and have a grave made for her near her mother’s. Driven to the edge of desperation, Mary manages to escape the asylum, only to find that her fate yet again rests in the hands of a man…

Edward Barrons, Duke of Fairleigh, longs for some way to escape the torment of his father’s crimes. In Mary’s warrior spirit and haunted gaze—which so mirrors his own—he finally sees his path to redemption. He will stop at nothing to keep her safe, even as she seeks revenge. But will the passion they discover in each other be enough to save them from their demons?


My Rating: 5 Roses

Darkly romantic and thrilling, Lady in Red was an amazing historical romance. It had dark romance, haunting pasts, shocking betrayals and I loved every bit of it!

Mary was a very strong heroine. Her past is enough to make most people break down, but she survived and is determined to get revenge. She was an awesome character and very likable. I liked that she didn't hide behind the men offering their help, though neither did she scorn them. Instead, she learned what she needed to protect herself and became a force to be reckoned with. I thought she was a wonderful heroine and I really liked her.

Edward was also amazing. Like Mary, his past also haunts him, but in a different way. Because of what his parents were like, he is terrified that their cruelty and madness would pass on to him and tries to prove that wrong as much as he can. He was very honorable, noble, and determined to do the right thing, even if it wasn't the easy way. He was also very sweet and devoted to his loved ones. I adored him. I thought he was a perfectly flawed hero.

The romance was intense. Mary and Edward both have terrible pasts and, when you put that together, you get a very darkly intense relationship, if that makes sense. They clung to each other as safety nets. And, their relationship allowed them both to heal. And, the sparks between them were constant. There was definitely a wealth of passion in their relationship. Sometimes, though, I wanted to shake some sense into both of them. They seemed to be on different pages a lot. This might sound cheesy, but they really needed to communicate. It would have saved them several misunderstandings. They eventually learned how, so that didn't bother me too much. Overall, I thought they were a lovely couple.

The plot was fast paced. I was hooked the entire way through. The betrayals and secrets were shocking and kept me on the edge of my seat. The truth of both Mary's and Edward's pasts were a surprise. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was perfect.

Lady in Red was a dark romance that I absolutely loved. It was dark, romantic, thrilling, and full of secrets. I enjoyed every bit of this historical romance. Lovers of romance, if you want something dark and thrilling to keep you on the edge of your seat, this is a book you'll want to read.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review

Quotes:
"'Let me know the depths of your heart,' he whispered. 'Let me be its guardian.'"-Edward

"'We are all broken, Mary, but together...you and I are whole. Yes, we used each other in the beginning. But now it is so much more. Out of pain came love.'"-Edward


No comments:

Post a Comment