Sunday, October 6, 2013

Her Wicked Sin by Sarah Ballance + Featured Freebie

Her Wicked Sin (Sins of Salem #1)
Release date: September 9, 2013
Publisher: Entangled: Scandalous 
Genre: Historical Romance
Series: Sins of Salem #1

On a moonless night, he rides into the winter forest on his beast as black as midnight….

Dashing stranger, Henry Dunham, comes to Salem on a mysterious errand, but is thrown from his horse in the dead of night and rescued by the local Puritan midwife, Lydia Colson.

Haunted by her past, Lydia is running from her own dark secrets, avoiding intrusive questions by pretending her dead husband is simply…away. But when she and Henry are caught in a compromising situation, one punishable by Puritan law, he saves her from scandal by claiming to be her errant spouse…and claiming her bed.

Forced to fake a marriage, Lydia and Henry find their passion overwhelming and their vows a little too real. As their lies become truths, a witch hunt closes in on Lydia, threatening not only their burgeoning love, but her life.


My Rating: 3.5 Roses

I haven't ever seen a historical romance set in the time of the Salem witch trials and, since I think that time is very interesting, I was excited about reading this. It didn't quite meet all my expectations, but I did really enjoy it. Her Wicked Sin was a lovely read, complete with a wonderful setting and steamy romance. I really liked this book.

My favorite part of the book was definitely the setting. The author did a great job re-creating the world of Puritan Salem and the superstition of the witch trials. It was brilliantly done, creating a setting that really drew me in.

Lydia was a great character. She was a strong heroine, determined to make her quiet living, regardless of the Puritan laws. I thought she was likable. I don't really have anything to say about her other than she was lovely.

I adored Henry. He was so sweet and adorable and so determined to protect his loved ones. He was perfect and I just loved him.

The romance was sweet and there was definitely chemistry between these two right away. I thought it was so sweet how they came to trust and fall for each other. And, the sparks were there from the moment they met. I thought they were lovely together.

The plot was well paced and I was kept interested the entire way through. There was definitely a twist, when we find out how Lydia's past and Henry's past are connected.

So, if I liked all this about the book, why did I rate it 3.5?
Well, it felt kind of incomplete. I felt like there should have been more to it somehow. More about the character, more about the story. It didn't feel all there, if that makes sense. I finished the book feeling vaguely dissatisfied, even though I liked the story. So, that definitely took away from my enjoyment of the book as a whole. But, for the most part, I really liked this book.

Her Wicked Sin was a lovely historical romance. With a unique setting and steamy romance, this is a book romance lovers won't want to miss. I really enjoyed this book and I think others will, as well.

*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a historical/paranormal romance that sounds good: Midnight Conquest by Arial Burnz. Go forth and get it for free!


Stewart Glen, Scotland - 1514

Masked in a Gypsy guise, Broderick MacDougal hides his vampiric identity while seeking to destroy the man who slaughtered his family. When an old Clan rival ensnares Broderick in a trap using an enticing widow, he is compelled to discover if she is bait or an accomplice, and the cinnamon-haired beauty is his next conquest.

Widow of an abusive husband, Davina Stewart-Russell clings to the only image that gave her strength during those dark times--the Gypsy rogue who stole her heart as a youth. After nine years, she is finally face-to-face with him again, but reality clashes with fantasy as she is confronted with Broderick's passionate pursuit.

When Davina's past returns to haunt her, Broderick is forced to reveal a dark secret worse than anything Davina thought possible. The challenge before them has fatal risks and neither of them is prepared for the sacrifices expected for the sake of eternal love.


No comments:

Post a Comment