Monday, October 7, 2013

Gareth: Lord of Rakes by Grace Burrowes + Featured Freebie

Gareth: Lord of Rakes (Lonely Lords, #6)
Release date: November 5, 2013
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: Lonely Lords #6

She's caught between a rake and certain ruin…

Felicity Worthington's only hope of avoiding poverty—or worse—is to accept her distant cousin's dubious bequest…a thriving, high-class brothel. Felicity has 90 days to convince her cousin's solicitors that Gareth Alexander has taught her the art of pleasing a man, though she's more interested in the gentleman she glimpses beneath Gareth's debauched airs, than in the rake he's become.

In the business of love…How much should he teach her?

Gareth Alexander, Marquis of Heathgate, has little incentive to help a spinster learn to manage a brothel—except that the alternatives for the prim, pretty Miss Worthington are even worse. His resistance to teaching Felicity how to be a madam leaves Gareth wondering if the honor he'd thought long dead still survives, and if that honor allows him to yield to the lady's ruinous scheme…and to their shared desires.


My Rating: 5 Roses

Absolutely lovely! This is definitely my new favorite Grace Burrowes book. Gareth: Lord of Rakes was a brilliant historical romance. It had steamy romance, shocking secrets, and a scandalous family secret that totally blew me away. I LOVED this book!

I loved the idea for this book. A heroine forced to become a madame and made to learn how to do it from a notorious rake. It's definitely something I haven't seen before and I really liked that about this book. I thought it made the book even better.

Felicity was a heroine is a bad situation. She's destitute because of her father's lack of preparation and the only money she can get is from a brothel. And the only way she was get the money from the brothel is by learning the how to be a madame, from the business side, to the knowledge of...shall we say "the arts of love." And the only person she is allowed to learn from, by way of an airtight will, is Gareth, a notorious rake. It puts her in a difficult situation. I really liked her. She was a very strong character. Even though she had every right to throw a pity party, she sucked it up and did what she had to do. She was intensely loyal to her sister and determined to take care of her, one way or another. She was tough, clever, and very likable. I thought she was a great heroine.

Gareth was also lovely. I completely adored him. Despite his reputation as a rogue, he was so sweet. I loved how, even as he was committed to helping Felicity fulfill the terms of the will, he was even more determined to help her find a way out of it, so that she could get the money and still save her reputation. I adored him. He was just wonderful.

The romance was both super sweet and steamy. Felicity and Gareth were so cute together. They were just such a perfect couple and it showed with their every interaction. And, let's not forget the chemistry between them. It was super hot and, when they finally got together, on fire. A few times, I just wanted to shove them in a room and refuse to let them out until they admitted their feelings for each other. Neither of them were in denial to themselves. They just couldn't admit it to each other. And, they were so close to letting a good thing get away. But, though that would usually annoy me, I think it worked in this book because it fit the characters, complete with their fears and insecurities. I really liked them together. I thought they were a lovely couple.

The plot was fast paced. I was hooked the entire way through. The mystery of who was really behind the will kept me riveted and the reveal of who was really behind it too me by surprise. Not to mention the secret involving Felicity, her sister, and Holbrook (another character, who I really liked). It was jaw-dropping. Talk about family secrets. It was definitely a surprise. And, now, knowing Holbrook's past, I can't wait to read his story, which I believe is coming up in the next few books. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was wonderful.

Gareth, Lord of Rakes was a fantastic historical romance. I adored this book! It had secrets, surprises, thrills, and romance. It was brilliant. Lovers of romance, this is a book you don't want to miss.

 photo 2_zps3b4250b0.jpg

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Quotes:
"You have made me a better man than I ever thought I could be. You have restored to me the man I should have been, and I would not survive the loss of you again. I simply could not." -Gareth
(Isn't he so sweet?)
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a paranormal/historical romance that sounds good: Irish Moon by Amber Scott. Go forth and get it for free!


A promise... is a promise and Ashlon Sinclair refuses to let anything deter him. When the chest he vowed to conceal with his life is stolen, his only hope in recovering it is also his only distraction--Breanne O'Donnell.

In her bones, Breanne feels much amiss in her mentor's sudden death. But who would murder the king's own druid? Moreover, how is is his demise linked to the mysterious stranger left behind?

Their searches intertwine and attraction beckons putting their lives and their hearts at risk under an IRISH MOON.

No comments:

Post a Comment