Monday, September 16, 2013

Waterfell by Amalie Howard + Featured Freebie

Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)
Release date: October 29, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: Aquarathi #1


THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE QUEEN

Nerissa Marin hides among teens in her human form, waiting for the day she can claim her birthright—the undersea kingdom stolen from her the day her father was murdered. Blending in is her best weapon—until her father's betrayer confronts Nerissa and challenges her to a battle to the death on Nerissa's upcoming birthday—the day she comes of age.

Amid danger and the heartbreak of her missing mother, falling for a human boy is the last thing Nerissa should do. But Lo Seavon breaches her defenses and somehow becomes the only person she can count on to help her desperate search for her mother, a prisoner of Nerissa's mortal enemy. Is Lo the linchpin that might win Nerissa back her crown? Or will this mortal boy become the weakness that destroys her?


My Rating: 4 Roses

Not what I was expecting. Going into this book, I was thinking "forbidden romance, mermaids, basically a standard YA paranormal romance." But, what I got was something much better. Waterfell was a wonderful YA read. Romantic, thrilling, and full of surprises. I LOVED this book!

I loved the mythology of this book. It was a new take on the mermaid-ish trope. Combine mermaid with aliens and some magic and we have the Aquarathi. It was really interesting and really well thought out. I really liked it and I can't wait to see more of it.

Nerissa was a good heroine. Unfortunately, she was the weak point of the book for me. For one, in the beginning, I found her selfish and shallow. Later on, she realized that and began to change, so I was able to forgive. But, she also tended to be judgmental and kind of mean at times. Not enough that I disliked her character. I still liked her. But, she annoyed me several times. And slowed down the plot with her stubbornness. On the other hand, she was also strong and definitely a force to be reckoned with. Overall, I ended up liking her character.

Lo was brilliant. He was so sweet and adorable and utterly swoon-worthy. He was just wonderful. And, don't underestimate him. He has some tricks up his sleeves. I adored him and thought he was perfect.

The romance was super sweet, although somewhat hindered by Nerissa's tenacity. I though these two were wonderful together, even more after what happened at the end. Love this couple. Can't wait to see how things turn out for them.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. There were some twists and turns that I never saw coming. The secrets that were revealed...totally blew me away. From the truth about Nerissa's mother to Lo's secret, it was all surprising. And I loved that about this book. The story was wonderful and the ending even better. I can't wait to read the next book and see how things turn out for Nerissa and Finn.

Waterfell was a brilliant YA paranormal romance that took me by surprise. I loved this book and I can't wait to read more from this series. It was just amazing! YA lovers, if you want something unpredictable and absolutely fantastic, then you definitely have to read this book.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for a copy!
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have New Adult romance that sounds great: Blood Ties by Victoria Rice. Go forth and get it for free!



I guess everyone can have their little fantasies. Me, I was just trying to fit in. “Act normal,” is my mantra. Nobody I knew lived in another world while they slept, eighteenth century France to be exact, but again, who would admit it. So why the hell did my hot fantasy lover Michél have to show up on my first day of college as my Art History 101 professor. Worse yet, how did I end up as his teaching assistant?

Surely it’s a quirk of genetics or a cruel joke from above, taunting me with his pale twin.

But no, I was so very wrong. The campus crush, a mild mannered sexy professor by day, is actually my long lost love, turned vampire upon our deaths two hundred years ago. He’s still the same sexy, frustrating man—well, with a few added perks.

He’s got secrets, slews of them which incidentally annoy me to death [lol] and by my guess, could kill me.

Should “optimistic” be the “happy” word for today? Optimistic that I’d come out of this alive?


1 comment:

  1. I think this is among the most important information for me.

    And i'm glad reading your article. But want to
    remark on few general things, The web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

    Take a look at my website; m88

    ReplyDelete