Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Warrior of the Nile by Veronica Scott

Warrior of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #2)
Release date: September 16, 2013
Publisher: Carina Press
Genre: Historical (Ancient World) Romance
Series: The Gods of Egypt #2

Egypt, 1500 BC

Lady Tiya is bound to the service of the goddess Nephthys, who plans to sacrifice Tiya’s body to protect Egypt from an ancient terror. She embarks to meet her grim fate alone but for the hardened warrior Khenet, who is fated to die at her side. Tiya’s dreams of love and family now seem impossible, and Khenet, who is the last of his line, knows his culture will die with him. Struggling with the high cost of Nephthys’s demands, both resolve to remain loyal.

Neither expects the passion that flowers when Tiya’s quiet courage and ethereal beauty meet Khenet’s firm strength and resolve. On a boat down the Nile, their two lonely souls find in each other a reason to live. But time is short and trust elusive.

Without the willing sacrifice of Tiya and Khenet, a great evil will return to Egypt. How could the gods demand their deaths when they’ve only just begun to live?


My Rating: 5 Roses

Sweet, lovely, and full of magic, Warrior of the Nile was a wonderful historical romance. A combination of Ancient Egyptian myth and sweet romance, this is a book not to be missed.

I've made no secret of my love of Ancient Egypt. Or, should I say: my obsession. I love all things Ancient Egypt, so finding a romance book set in that time was like striking gold for me. But, I'm kind of a detail freak when it comes to the mythology, so I was worried that one discrepancy might turn me off from the book. But, I didn't have to be worried. The book was accurate, which soothed my mythology OCD, and entirely enjoyable. The blend of myth with romance was perfect and I ended of loving this book.

Tiya was a lovely heroine. She was strong and remarkable unselfish. When she learns that she and Khenet have to sacrifice themselves, she's not worried about herself. She petitions the gods for Khenet's life. But, don't be fooled by her kindness. If you get on her bad side, she will take you down.  I thought she was a likable, wonderful character.

Khenet was also great. He was super sweet and strong. His sense of duty is paramount to him. Even if it meant dying, he was willing to sacrifice himself for Egypt and for the woman he loves. I thought he was adorable and I really liked him.

The romance was lovely. A perfect blend of sweet and spicy. These two were adorable together, their love completely pure and devoted. And, the chemistry between them is undeniable from the moment they meet. They were wonderful together.

The plot was fast paced and I was hooked the entire way through. I really liked how the sacrifice was resolved and how it was explained. I knew that Tiya and Khenet had to live at the end, I just didn't know how that was going to happen, so the author managed to surprise me. I enjoyed the story and the ending was perfect.

Warrior of the Nile was a fantastic historical romance. It had magic, myth, romance, and surprises. I really enjoyed reading this lovely book. Romance lovers, if you want something a little different, but no less great, then this is a book you'll want to check out.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Carina Press for a copy!
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a New Adult Sci-Fi Romance that sounds good: The Magic Wakes by Charity Bradford. Go forth and get it for free!



Since childhood, scientist Talia Zaryn has been haunted by recurring dreams, visions of an alien attack on her planet Sendek. Each time it ends abruptly with Talia’s death in the capital city Joharadin, a city that she has spent her life desperately avoiding. Talia keeps these dreams a secret, hoping they are nothing more than childish nightmares. But when she is unexpectedly transferred to Joharadin she is convinced that the conflict, and her own death, is at hand.

As Talia’s nightmares occur with increasing frequency, they reveal the imminent invasion of a half-dragon, half-human race called Dragumon, bent on the annihilation of her world.

In Sendek, magic is dead and science rules, forcing Talia to keep another secret, one that could cost her everything if it were known. Now, in order to save her planet, Talia must awaken the powers within her and rely at last on the magic that is her true inheritance.


No comments:

Post a Comment