Monday, September 2, 2013

The Darkest Part by Trisha Wolfe

The Darkest Part (Living Heartwood)
Release date: August 6, 2013
Publisher: Self
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Series: Living Heartwood #1

Pressing the boundaries of both the psyche and the heart, Sam and Holden embark on a dangerous journey that will test the limits of love.

Sam Wintry’s life used to be almost perfect. She was engaged to her childhood best friend and high school sweetheart, Tyler Marks, planning an amazing cross-country honeymoon during her college break. But after a hit-and-run leaves her in ruin, she begins seeing Tyler’s fractured, ghostly presence, and her family believes she’s losing her mind. Not until she completes their journey, stopping along the way to scatter Tyler's remains, will Tyler be able cross over. Only...is Sam ready for him to leave her?

When the black sheep of the Marks' family, Holden Marks, returns to check on Tyler's case, Sam convinces him to give her his brother's ashes. Despite their shaky history, she needs him...plus, he owes it to Sam and his brother. What she doesn’t count on is Holden’s relentlessness to go on the trip.

On the road, Holden realizes just how unhinged Sam has become. Dealing with her psychosis forces him to confront his dark past, making it harder to keep secrets hidden that should remain buried. Especially from Sam, the only woman he’s ever loved. And as Sam starts to unravel the truth, she begins to question if the brother she's unwillingly falling for again is in an even darker place than her.

My Rating: 5 Roses

Trisha Wolfe can do no wrong. Every book of hers that I've read has been amazing and this one didn't disappoint. The Darkest Part was a brilliant New Adult romance full of heartache, romance, and a blurred line of sanity. I absolutely loved it!

Sam was a determined heroine. That's the biggest impression I got from her. If she wanted something, nothing was going to keep her from getting it. She was very strong, even as she questioned her sanity. I thought she was wonderful. She was very likable and I found her to be a fantastic character.

Holden was so sweet, I don't even know what to do with myself. He's just so amazingly adorable, so utterly devoted to Sam, so completely loyal to his brother. He's the kind of guy who would sacrifice what he wants most for the sake of a loved one and he did just that. I adored him. He was so perfect and brilliant and definitely a new book boyfriend. I just loved him.

The romance was amazing. The way it developed, a mix of leftover feelings from a brief moment in the past and new feelings brought on my their reunion. It was just so sweet. And, there was plenty of chemistry between Holden and Sam that was downright HOT. I loved these two together. They were a brilliant couple.

I have to mention Tyler, since he was such a big part of the book. Even though he was dead. I had a love hate relationship with him. On one hand, I thought it was adorable how devoted he was to Sam. On the other, he could be so selfish. In several instances, he proved that. And it kind of made me want to hit him. But, I still kind of liked him. He was a complex character, like Holden and Sam were. Even now, I'm still not sure how to feel about him.

The plot was fast paced. I was hooked the entire way through. There were so many secrets in this book that took me by surprise. There were a few I started to suspect as hints were dropped along the way, but I was still blown away when all was revealed. And the ending was so perfect and lovely.

The Darkest Part was a wonderful New Adult romance. I loved everything about it, from the romance to the secrets. It was so brilliant! Lovers of NA romance, you have to read this book.

*I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review

2 comments:

  1. I love when something happens that I don't expect! I'm glad that you enjoyed this one :)


    Spiced Latte

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a surprising read. But, in a very good way :) Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete