Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Beautiful and the Damned by Jessica Verday + Featured Freebie

The Beautiful and the Damned
Release date: October 1, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: N/A

Cyn’s blackouts have deadly consequences in this sexy, suspenseful spinoff to the New York Times bestselling Hollow series.

Cyn and Avian are far from a perfect match. She’s a witch who casts spells on men so she can steal their cars. He spends his time being judge, jury, and executioner to the truly evil in the supernatural realm.

When the blackouts Cyn’s been having ever since her time in Sleepy Hollow start escalating, she finds herself unable to remember where she’s been or what she’s been doing. Frightened, she seeks guidance at a local church, and it’s there she meets Avian.

The unlikely pair soon discovers that her blackouts are a side effect of what she truly is—an Echo—a conduit for souls of the dead. The only way to prevent Cyn from losing complete control is to return to Sleepy Hollow and vanquish the source of her power—but she may not survive the process. And if she does? She won’t ever be the same…


My Rating: 4 Roses


Dark, thrilling, romantic, and a wonderful YA paranormal romance read! The Beautiful and the Damned was a wonderful book and I really enjoyed reading it. 

Confession time: I didn't realize this book was a spin off from another series until right before I started reading it. I just requested it, thinking it sounded like a pretty awesome read. And, when I found out it was a spin off, I was worried that I might end up confused while reading this, since I didn't read the original series. But, the author did a great job explaining the backstory so that I, having not read the first series, could understand without weighing down the story. And I ended up liking this book so much that I want to go back and read the original series, The Hollow. For fans of The Hollow series and new readers to this world, The Beautiful and the Damned is a book not to be missed.

Cyn was a strong heroine. She was one tough chick, to go through everything she has been through and still fight to survive. And she was a very likable character. I thought she was great. I really liked her.

Avian was also wonderful. He was a delightfully complex character. A half demon, half angel, complete with the horns and the wings. And he has his own brand of justice that he has no problem doling out to the evil supernatural creatures. He was strong and determined to do what he believed was right. And, his loyalty to his loved ones was always assured. When he wanted to, he could be quite sweet, though he hasn't had much practice at it. Still, I thought he was wonderful and I adored him. He was a great character.

The romance was steadily developed.  It took a while for Cyn and Avian to trust each other first, considering the fact that neither of them have much practice in trusting others. And I like that it was realistic in the way the romance developed. I thought these two were sweet together. I haven't heard about a sequel yet, but I hope to see how their story continues.

The plot was okay. It sdragged a little in the beginning, for about the first half. But, once we get past that slow start, things speed up and I was hooked from there. There were thrills, secrets, surprises, and near death danger. I really enjoyed the story and the ending has me curious to find out what happens to these two next. Hopefully, we'll get news of a sequel soon.

The  Beautiful and the Damned was a darkly brilliant YA paranormal romance. I really enjoyed reading this fantastic book. For fans of The Hollow series, I have no doubt you won't be disappointed. For readers new to this world, this is a book you'll want to check out.

*I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a YA romance that I read before and enjoyed: After Tuesday by Renee Ericson. Go forth and get it for free!



Family really is a pain…especially when your father is an addict.

For the last two years, high school senior Ruby has been her own rock and solace. She has learned to depend only on herself and hides her family's issues by keeping herself somewhat unnoticeable. Despite her isolation, Ruby has intrigued the affections of someone unexpected. She finds herself loving life once again as his persistence sparks a romance awakening a well-protected heart.

While Ruby’s relationship with her father is constantly teetering, her new-found affection continues to blossom into something more than she ever thought possible. Soon, Ruby comes to realize that opening up your heart means being susceptible to love and disappointment.


No comments:

Post a Comment