Monday, September 23, 2013

If Wishes Were Earls by Elizabeth Boyle + Featured Freebie

If Wishes Were Earls (Rhymes With Love, #3)
Release date: December 31, 2013
Publisher: Avon
Genre: Historical (Regency) Romance
Series: Rhymes With Love #3

Harrriet Hathaway has loved only one man her entire life: the Earl of Roxley. But when he ignores her at a ball, she takes rather desperate steps to catch his eye and her plans find her ruined and without any hope of gaining Roxley’s heart. So it is much to her amazement when Roxley proposes marriage to save her from ruin. But Roxley’s proposal isn’t quite on the up and up and when she finds out she’s just another piece in one of his plots and japes, she vows revenge.

Roxley is desperate to pull his family from the brink of ruin, and the only way to gain a lost fortune is to prove to his aunts that’s he’s “reformed” his life and is determined to settle down. But the bride-to-be that he thought would be most amiable is doing everything to turn his life and his heart upside down. Harriet Hathaway had always seemed the most sensible girl he knew, but now this siren of a stranger he’s engaged to is leaving him feeling anything but sensible. Harriet is about to steal not only his heart, but quite possibly the keys to the Roxley fortune.


My Rating: 3.5 Roses

Cute, sweet, and unexpected. I enjoyed reading If Wishes Were Earls. I can't say that I loved this book, but I definitely liked it and enjoyed it.

Harriet was a lovely heroine. She is determined and stubborn to the max. When she wants something, there is no way in this world she will let it go. And I liked that about her. She wasn't stubborn in an annoying way, but in a way that made it clear she wasn't the type to just give up. I thought she was a great character and I really liked her.

Roxley was...difficult for me.
On one hand, he was sweet, and I thought his steadfast love for Harriet was adorable.
On the other, I kind of wanted to tell him to man up.
I don't understand why he so meekly fell to blackmail. No fighting back, no trying to get out of it. Just acceptance, even though he was in love with Harriet. It wasn't until Harriet kicked his butt into taking action did he begin to see the possibility of fighting back and refusing to bow to blackmail. It just made me want to shake him and I got frustrated with him. In the second half of the book, when Harriet spurred him into action, he got better. We finally see him be determined and defiant. So, I ended up okay with him and I liked him just fine. But, he's not one of my favorite heroes.

The romance was sweet. Harriet and Roxley have been in love for years and had planned on getting married until something threw a wrench in their plans. I love me the "best friends to lovers" trope in romance, so that was definitely a point in their favor. The spice was just a sprinkle, but it was full of sparks. These two were lovely together.

I LOVED Roxely's aunts. They were hilarious. I just loved their characters. They were so fun and they livened up the book. They were undoubtedly my favorite part. They were not your typical regency women and I really liked that about them. They were all wonderful.

The plot was steadily paced. I was kept interested the entire way though. There were some surprises along the way, secrets about Roxley's parents and the strange situation surrounding their deaths. I enjoyed the story and the ending was lovely.

If Wishes Were Earls was a wonderful historical romance. It was sweet and surprising. I really enjoyed reading it. Lovers of romance, you definitely should give this book a read.

*Thanks to Edelweiss and Avon Books for a copy!
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have historical romance that sounds great: The Pirate and the Puritan by Cheryl Howe. Go forth and get it for free!



Felicity Kendall forced her passionate nature into hinding after a handsome rogue seduced her then sailed away with the profits from her father's shipping company. Afterwards, she embraced the strictness of her mother's faith, molding herself into a rigid spinster before her time. After ruining herself so thoroughly, she can never marry. Her only hope is to escape the strict mores of Boston's Puritan population so she could be of use in her father's enterprises in the Caribbean.

On Barbados, she discovers her father has added a new partner to his venture. Lord Christian Andrews might charm her father, but Felicity sees the scoundrel behind his handsome exterior. She won't allow him to send her away, despite the fact a notorious pirate has targeted her father's ships and murdered his other business partner. Felicity feels it her duty to sneak aboard Lord Christian's ship before he sails away with her father's fortune. What she discovers is a man capable of unleashing her denied lust, though their shared passion might destroy them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment