Thursday, September 12, 2013

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill + Featured Freebie

All Our Yesterdays (Cassandra Chronicles, #1)
Release date: September 3, 2013
Publisher: Disney Hyperion

Genre: YA Time Travel/Thriller Romance
Series: Cassandra Chronicles #1


"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.

My Rating: 4.5 Roses

Thrilling and unpredictable, this book is one that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Danger, time travel, assassinations, and romance come together to make this book amazing. All Our Yesterdays was a brilliant YA read so full of twists and turns that I never saw any of it coming. Loved it!

This book could easily have gotten confusing, with the dual characters, time travel, and all that stuff. But, the author did a wonderful job with the world building and the concept of time travel. It was brilliantly done. I never felt confused or lost in the very complex plot. So, that was definitely a point in this book's favor.

Em was a tough heroine. She's been through hell and back and she's still fighting. But, at the same time, her experiences haven't made her bitter. She's still a genuinely good person. Though, if you get on her bad side, she will take you down. I really liked her. I thought she was great.

Marina was a great character in a different way. On the surface, she's spoiled, shallow, and kind of snobby. Beneath that, she was a strong heroine. She faced some difficult times throughout this book, but she stayed strong and proved herself. Again, I really liked her.

James was Marina's love interest. He was, difficult. On one hand, the James we see is sweet and super adorable. And, he was good at heart, despite a darkness that lived in him. In the end, he was the kind of person to sacrifice anything to save his loved ones. But, I also knew his future. Which I won't give away. And that made my feelings about his character muddled. But, this is one of the things I liked best about this book. The characters are so complex that they draw out several different reactions. After what happened at the end, though, I definitely adored him.

Finn is Em's love interest and, wow, was he swoon worthy. Not just because of his looks, which were amazing. But, also because he was so sweet. Despite everything he went through, like Em, he's still a genuinely good person at heart. He kept things light in a rather heavy story. He was utterly adorable. Definitely book boyfriend material.

The plot was fast paced, unpredictable, and it kept me on the edge of my seat. There were so many twists and turns that I never knew what to expect. I was completely hooked and the ending has me anxious to get my hands on the next book.

So, if I liked this book so much, why did I knock off a point?
I wanted more from it. I still had so many questions at the end and I assume they will be answered in subsequent books. But, for now, I feel a little dissatisfied with the information I got.
What happened while Em and Finn were on the run? How did they go from hating each other to falling in love? How did James' character change from what we see into what he becomes? And, most importantly, what in good god's name happened at the end. I was totally bewildered. The last scene seemed like it was almost a time warp after everything that happened and I'm dying to find out exactly what that is. Hopefully this will all be addressed in the next book. But, for now, I think I might develop anxiety trying to piece it all together.

All Our Yesterdays was a brilliant, keeps-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat YA read. I absolutely loved this thrilling book! Anyone and everyone should read this book because it's amazing.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Disney Hyperion for a copy!
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a New Adult romance from a series that I adored: Off Sides by Sawyer Bennett. Go forth and get it for free!



“I'm not sure what possessed me to do it. Maybe it was the impossible expectations I faced, maybe it was my own self-loathing. But I just knew I needed something different to happen. I needed someone...something...to derail me from my current path. Otherwise, I would become lost...a hollowed out shell of a man. So I did it. I approached her, then I pursued her, then I made her mine. And my life was saved...”

Ryan Burnham is the privileged son of a U.S. Congressman and captain of his university’s hockey team. While he is on the verge of fulfilling his dreams to play in the NHL, his parents want him on a different course. One he is expected to accept for the sake of his family’s public image.

Forced to abandon her music career after the heart breaking death of her parents, Danny Cross exists on the opposite side of the tracks from Ryan. She is struggling to make her own way, working two jobs, attending college part time and volunteering in a homeless shelter. She is on a mission to build her own success.

With a chance meeting, their vastly different worlds collide, causing each to evaluate whether they are truly on the correct path to self-fulfillment and happiness. Can their relationship survive? Particularly when others are against them every step of the way. A lot can happen in just ten short days...



No comments:

Post a Comment