Sunday, August 25, 2013

Deeper by Blue Ashcroft + Featured Freebie

Deeper
Release date: August 3, 2013
Publisher: Self
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Series: N/A

Rain Wilson isn’t ever going to love again.

It’s a promise she made the day her boyfriend died in a water park accident, one she still blames herself for. Now she’s a senior lifeguard in a new town with a new pool and she’s just going to keep her head down and everyone safe.

Until a mysterious guy follows her into the waves at the pre-season bonfire and kisses her senseless. It’s just one mistake, and Rain is determined to put it behind her, until the dark haired, blue eyed hottie turns out to be her new co-supervisor Knight Mcallister.

Knight is hot, tatted, and carrying baggage of his own. He’s not happy about having Rain for a co-supervisor, and he’s even less happy about his attraction to her.

But between lifeguard drama, hot underwater kisses, and a growing attraction between them that can’t be stopped, Knight and Rain are being pulled deeper into their pasts, and realizing that sometimes too much broken can make a relationship impossible.

Then again sometimes it’s the broken parts of us that fit together best.



My Rating: 2 Roses

Not a bad read, but I had trouble connecting with the characters. Deeper was a nice New Adult read. It was okay and, while I didn't love it, I did enjoy reading it.

I had a big problem connecting with Rain. I understood her guilt, but I think she took it too far. Because she felt she was responsible for her almost-boyfriend's death, she decided she didn't deserve to truly live and she was going to continually put her life at risk and be totally reckless in the name of saving others. It just didn't sit well with me. And I couldn't understand why she kept calling Knight sexist. For example, when they were training the new lifeguards, he didn't want the girls to practice on the bigger guys since it would be more difficult for them. While that's not gender equality, it is kind of true. Girls are, on average, physically smaller than guys, so they would have more difficultly rescuing a guy. I consider myself I feminist and that didn't bother me. But Rain went on a rampage about it. Several times, I just wanted to tell her to chill out. In the end, I was okay with her character, but I can't say that I liked her.

Knight fared better for me. I understood how his past affected him more than I did with Rain. I connected with him more as a character. He was sweet and a genuinely good guy. He was the best part of the book. Though I didn't understand why he put up with Rain. But, I did like his character and I thought he was great.

The romance was sweet. There wasn't much spice in this, though there was obvious chemistry between Rain and Knight. They were a cute couple.

The plot was okay. I was kept interested the entire way through. And, though I wasn't riveted, I did enjoy the story. And the ending was great.

Deeper was a nice New Adult romance. Though it's not one of my favorites, I did enjoy reading it. If you're looking for a quick read that nice and enjoyable, then you should give this book a try.

*Thanks to Netgalley and the author for a copy!
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have New Adult romance that sounds interesting: Palm of Destiny by Rebecca Segal. Go forth and get it for free!




Rosalie had never seen herself as extraordinary or special in any way. Everyone around her always told her that she had some sort of epic destiny, but so far her life had been dull. After losing her father, who she felt closer to than anyone else, she felt lost and alone. With her entire life falling apart around her in the wake up depression, her best friend dragged her to an old metaphysical shop in the middle of town for the pure randomness of it all. What she found there – or rather, who she found – had the potential to either change her life or destroy it.

Elijah Grey didn’t fit in anywhere. He had tried and failed at highschool. Jobs were all either boring or well beyond his qualifications. Feeling cut off from the world, he started his own business., Once a week, he was given permission to read palms, tarot cards, runes, and other such things for the store’s customers. In following a passion he had only ever touched on, he started to feel like maybe he was worth something... like maybe he did belong afterall. But when a young, frazzled looking young woman came to him one day asking about the future, he was almost too afraid to tell her what he saw.

Rosalie’s random stumble into Elijah’s world had him reeling. Not just because of how beautiful she was, but because of what the lines in her palm told him. Death could mean any number of things, from change to true loss; but what he saw in those lines was so terrifying to him that it was all he could do to not pack up and leave town. What else was he supposed to do after seeing his own death in the palm of her hand? Only one thing was truly clear:

Somewhere between love and death, their destiny awaited them.


No comments:

Post a Comment