Friday, August 16, 2013

Countdown by Michelle Rowen + Featured Freebie

Countdown
Release date: September 24, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: YA Dystopia/Romance
Series: N/A

3 seconds left to live. Once the countdown starts, it cannot be stopped. 

2 pawns thrown into a brutal underground reality game.

Kira Jordan survived her family's murder and months on plague-devastated city streets with hard-won savvy and a low-level psi ability. She figures she can handle anything. Until she wakes up in a barren room, chained next to the notorious Rogan Ellis.

1 reason Kira will never, ever trust Rogan. Even though both their lives depend on it.

Their every move is controlled and televised for a vicious exclusive audience. And as Kira's psi skill unexpectedly grows and Rogan's secrets prove evermore deadly, Kira's only chance of survival is to risk trusting him as much as her instincts. Even if that means running head-on into the one trap she can't escape.

GAME OVER

My Rating: 5 Roses

If I had to describe this book in one word, it would be: EPIC. Countdown was a thrilling, romantic, keeps-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat book that I absolutely loved. When I finished this book, I was literally a little speechless because it was just so earth-shatteringly awesome. Ooh, I just loved this book so much!

The thrills in this book were nonstop. I was on the edge of my seat, absolutely glued to the book, because I just had to know what happened next. Anyone who interrupted me got the death glare because there was no way I was going to put this book down. It was a roller coaster of secrets, surprises, action, and espionage all rolled into one ridiculously awesome book. I don't think it's even possible to overstate the utter awesomeness of all the action and thrills.

Kira was one hell of a kick-ass heroine. Her entire family was murdered when she was young and she's been on her own in the streets for years. And it's made her tough and ready to take on anything. Even when she gets dropped into the brutal game of Countdown, she just took it all on. And, beneath all that she was also a genuinely nice person. She was the kind of character to wait before judging and know when to forgive. Honestly, I can't think of a single thing I didn't love about her. She was a top notch heroine and I really liked her. She's definitely one my list of favorite heroines.

Rogan was also totally amazing. It took a while to figure him out completely because this guy has an army of skeletons in his closet. I liked him right away. He was strong, clever, and always ready with a sarcastic quip. I don't think a lesser man would have been able to take on Kira, but he matched her word for word. And, as we got to know him better and find out his past, I came to adore him. In addition to being kick-ass, he was also so sweet when he wanted to be and determined to do what was right, especially given his past. He a complicated character and I loved that about him. By the end of the book, I was just adored him.

The romance was brilliantly done. It developed slowly over the course of the book. Even though this book takes place in only a few day, it didn't feel like insta-love. With everything they go through together, it was understandable why their feelings would develop faster. And I felt like they actually got to know each other before they claimed to fall. I thought they were great together. They were a sweet couple, completely perfect for each other.

The plot was fast paced and an utter roller coaster. As I mentioned before, the thrills don't stop. I was totally hooked the entire way through. There were secrets and surprises that completely blew me away. This book definitely wasn't predictable. It kept me on my toes with revelation after revelation. And the ending was wonderful. I assume this is a standalone, since all the loose ends were tied and I haven't seen anything about a sequel. I couldn't imagine a better way to end this epic story. Loved this book.

Countdown is a book that can't be missed. To say I loved it is an understatement. It was a brilliant YA book full of thrills, romance, and plenty of surprises. If you like any of that, then you have to read this amazing book.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for a copy!
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a YA paranormal romance that I absolutely adore: Kiss Of Fire by Rebecca Ethington. Go forth and get it for free!



Joclyn Despain has been marred by a brand on her skin. She doesn't know why the mark appeared on her neck, but she doesn't want anyone to see it, including her best friend Ryland, who knows everything else about her. The scar is the reason she hides herself behind baggy clothes, and won't let the idea of kissing Ryland enter her mind, no matter how much she wants to.

The scar is the reason she is being hunted.

If only she knew that she was.

If only she had known that the cursed stone her estranged father sent for her 16th birthday would trigger a change in her. Now, she is being stalked by a tall blonde man, and is miraculously throwing her high school bully ten feet in the air.

Joclyn attempts to find some answers and the courage to follow her heart. When Ryland finds her scar; only he knows what it means, and who will kill her because of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment