Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ward Against Darkness Promo Blitz: Author Interview

Ward Against Darkness (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer, #2)
Release Date: July 16, 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Previous book in series: Ward Against Death


The last thing Ward de'Ath wants is more trouble. On the run from both the law and the criminal underworld, Ward and Celia flee Brawenal City only to stumble into the mansion of a powerful evil necromancer. And when Ward discovers the man possesses a dangerous grimoire, his duty leaves him no choice. He can't allow the necromancer to keep the grimoire. But the mansion is filled with monsters--human and undead--and Ward has no way of telling who's friend or foe. The only person he can trust is Celia who dominates more of his thoughts and feelings everyday. But there are still laws in the way of anything but friendship. She's still dead and he's still alive . . . for now.


Author Interview:

Melanie has always been drawn to storytelling and can’t remember a time when she wasn’t creating a story in her head. Her early stories were adventures with fairies and dragons and sword swinging princesses.

Today she continues to spin tales of magic in lands near and far, while her cat sits on the edge of her desk and supervises. When she’s not writing, you can find her pretending to be other people with her local community theatre groups.


Welcome to Imagine a World! I'm so glad you could be here.
Hi Farrah, thank you for having me.

What is the hardest part about writing for you? The easiest?
The hardest part about writing for me is the first draft. It usually comes out in fits and starts. I often plot my stories ahead of time, but my characters don’t always like what I’ve set up for them often do stuff that will require the plot to change. I always feel after finishing a first draft that the book is a hot mess. The easiest part of writing for is taking that hot mess (which usually isn’t as much of a disaster as I thought it was) cleaning it up and making it make sense.

If your book was made into a movie, who would you want to play your characters?
This is a tough one. I think because of the unique look of my characters it would have to be relatively unknowns playing them. David Tennant (or how I imagined him at nineteen) is the inspiration for Ward’s look, and for some reason I’ve never thought about which actress would best play Celia.

What do you do when you get writer’s block?
I go for a walk, or I skip the scene giving me trouble and write the next one, or I take a long shower or bath, or I read a book. Or I give myself permission to take a weekend and not worry about it (I usually don’t take days off of work). Usually the problem is worry about something not happening the way I thought it should happen and that clogs me up.

Are there any authors in particular (living or dead) who inspire you?
There are so many writers who inspire me. I met the amazing J. Gunnar Grey when we were in school and we’ve be working together ever since. I also am extremely privileged to know Deborah Cooke who’s a fount of knowledge about the publishing industry. And the person who brought me back to writing (after a very long dry spell) was my husband who’s a novelist and a playwright.

Do you have any upcoming books you’re working on? Can you tell us a little about it?
I’m working on the third book in the Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer, Ward Against Disaster, where Ward and Celia face even more undead dangers.

If you could go back in time (to any time at all), what time period would you go to and why?
This is a great question and I’m a terrible person to ask it. I’m very happy in my own time period. There are things I like about some historical periods and things I really don’t. One of the joys of writing fantasy is that I can take what I like and change what I don’t. Now, if you asked me about the future… we’ll that’s a different answer.

Summer or winter?
Summer

Cat or dog?
Cat

Tea or coffee?
Coffee

Book or movie?
Toss up. I love both. It’s all about storytelling for me, not the medium.

Bad boy or boy next door?
Boy next door.

Thanks so much for coming!
Thanks for having me!


No comments:

Post a Comment