Friday, July 26, 2013

The Seduction of Lady Phoebe by Ella Quinn + Featured Freebie

The Seduction of Lady Phoebe (The Marriage Game, #1)
Polite society has its rules for marriage. But for Ella Quinn’s eligible bachelors, their brides will show them that rules are for the weak of heart…

Phoebe Stanhope is not a typical Lady. As feisty as she is quick witted, no one can catch her, especially astride a horse. And unlike her peers, experience has guarded her against a growing list of would-be suitors. But when she encounters Marcus Finley, what she fears most burns deep within in his blue-eyed gaze…

For Lord Finley, the spark of recognition is but a moment in the love he has held these many years. Now that he’s returned to England, all the happiness he desires rests on Lady Phoebe never finding out that he was the one who turned her heart so cold and distant. He must work fast to gain the advantage—to convince her what she wants is exactly what she denies—but in order to seduce her into his arms, he must be willing to give up more than he can control…

My Rating: 3 Roses

This book didn't have the greatest start. For about the first half, I thought I would end up not liking it. But, I persevered and continued to read. And I'm so glad I did! About halfway through the book, things picked up and I was drawn into the story. In the end, though I had a few complaints, I really liked The Seduction of Lady Phoebe. 

I have to say, Marcus was the best part of this book. He was a wonderful hero. So sweet and determined to win over the woman he loves. I thought it was adorable how he was willing to do whatever if it meant he could be with Phoebe. I adored him and I thought he was perfect.

Phoebe was a weak point in the book. I didn't understand why she held such a grudge against Marcus. All he did was try to kiss her while he was drunk. It was a jerk move, but other "gentleman" had tried to kiss her as well. So, why did she fixate on Marcus? There was some explanation, but I didn't think it covered her passionate hatred for the young man who tried to kiss her years ago. It seemed like a vast overreaction. And her tenacity in remembering that night even after she saw how Marcus had grown up and matured past his youthful wildness over the years really slowed down the plot. That's what caught up the first half of the book. Her hesitancy made the plot drag to the point of me almost losing interest. It just really annoyed me. In the second half of the book, after Phoebe got her head on straight, I softened up to her and was able to forgive her stubbornness a little. In the end, she wasn't my favorite heroine, but I was okay with her.

On a similar note, I don't get why literally everyone castigated Marcus for his youthful folly. It was referred to several times as "despicable." First of all, all he did was try to kiss Phoebe while he was drunk. It was a stupid thing to do, but everyone acted as if he had committed some horrible crime. It might as well have been the apocalypse. But all he did was try to kiss her! None of the other "gentlemen" that had tried to kiss Phoebe were treated the way Marcus was. And, why was everyone, especially Phoebe, so shocked that a 20 year old man was wild and reckless. Ummm, are 20 year old guys known for there wisdom and rationality? No. 20 year old guys are known for doing really stupid, reckless things and basically acting dumb most of the time. No offense to anyone. But, really, young men aren't known for their outstanding maturity. So, why was everyone so surprised that a 20 year old guy did something stupid?

I don't want it to seem like I didn't like the book after these gripes. I did like this book. After finishing it, I really liked the story. I thought it was a sweet, lovely read. I just had a couple of complaints. But, overall, I liked The Seduction of Lady Phoebe.

The romance, because of Phoebe's reluctance, started off slow. But, when things picked up, so did the romance. Marcus and Phoebe were really sweet together, especially with how Marcus had been in love with Phoebe for so long and was willing to do anything to win her over. And, when they finally got together...wow, was it HOT! Like, fan your face hot. After 5 years of built up emotions, it was totally explosive when they finally...consummated their relationship ;) Though I had my issues with Miss Stubborn, I did think these two were a great couple.

The plot, as I said, was slow at first. But, in the second half, I got totally hooked and I was completely invested in the story. Basically everything got better in the second half. By the ending, which was lovely, I truly enjoyed the book.

The Seduction of Lady Phoebe had some issues for me, but I still truly liked the book. Really a lovely read. Despite my complaints, I would still recommend this book to anyone who wants a lovely historical romance.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Kensington Books for a copy!
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a historical romance novella that I read before and adored: The Handfasting by Jenna Stone. Go forth and get it for free!



Highland warrior Gavin Mackinnon has found the woman that he wants to spend the rest of his life with - now he is forced by the evils of war to leave her behind.

English beauty Emma Abernathy is high-spirited and feisty - the perfect match for Gavin. Together they discover a love so deep that it threatens to consume them.

With no time for a proper wedding, Gavin seeks to protect Emma with the safety of his name, also giving her his heart to safe-keep. They are handfasted, bound together in marriage for a year and a day. Gavin and Emma share one precious night together before he leaves for war - losing themselves in the depths of their passion and savoring the joy of their love.

Gavin vows to fight with every shred of his being to return safely home to Emma.

Will the strength of Emma's love be enough to bring her husband back from the horrors of war?


No comments:

Post a Comment