Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Defiance (Brilliant Darkness #2) by A.G. Henley + Featured Freebie

The Defiance (Brilliant Darkness, #2)
It hasn’t been long since Fennel, a Sightless Groundling, and Peree, her Lofty Keeper, fell in love and learned the truth: the Scourge, and their world, is not what it seems.

Fenn and Peree are determined to guide their people to the protected village of Koolkuna, but first they must convince them that everything they believe is a lie. An impossible task, especially when someone seems hell-bent to try anything—even animal sacrifice and arson—to destroy the couple’s new bond and crush the frail truce between the Groundlings and the Lofties. Not everyone wants to uproot their lives in the forest, and those who stay behind will be left terribly vulnerable.

Fenn and Peree’s resolve to be together despite their people’s disapproval, and the constant threat of the Scourge’s return, pushes both groups to the breaking point. Unable to tell friend from foe, Fenn must again decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice to ensure the people of the forest’s future.

Only this time, the price of peace may be too high to bear.

My Rating: 4.5 Roses

Fans of The Scourge, you will not be disappointed with this sequel. The Defiance was thrilling, romantic, and full of surprises. Loved this book!

After the lies of the Groundlings and Lofties' existence were revealed in the previous book, their society starts to unravel in this book. People start to question the truth of what they've been living and that causes the leaders to begin taking drastic measures against Fenn and Peree, who started it all. That leads to betrayal, surprises, and twists that make this book a thrill ride. I was on the edge of my seat the entire way through.

Fenn became a stronger character in this book. She stands up for herself and what she believes in and isn't afraid to go against the grain. Even after all she's been through, she stands strong. She definitely proved herself as a heroine and I came to like her even more.

Peree...
What can I say? I absolutely adore him. He can do no wrong in my eyes. He's just so sweet and adorable and dedicated to protecting his loved ones. I fell for him even more in this book. Not only is he a total sweetheart, but he showed himself to be a strong hero who could defend his own and become a strong leader. He's just perfect.

The romance was so sweet. It's obvious how much Fenn and Peree adore each other and it just put a smile on my face. Love these two together.

I said it when I review book 1 and I have to say it again. The setting was flawless. Especially considering that the narrator is blind, it was doubly impressive. Ms. Henley has a talent for creating setting.

The one thing about this book that I didn't adore is that I didn't connect to the characters and the plot as much as I did in the previous book. I'm not sure why, but it was noticeable. It didn't detract from my enjoyment, but it did bear mentioning.

The plot was well paced. I was hooked the entire way through. There were thrills, surprises, and a cliff hanger ending that has me anxious for the next book. Can't wait to read it!

The Defiance is a wonderful continuation of the Brilliant Darkness series. I absolutely adored it! Fans of book 1, you will not be disappointed. And for those who haven't started this series, you definitely should.

*I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review
_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a YA fairy tale retelling that sounds cute: Just Like Magic by Elizabeth Townsend. Go forth and get it for free!



Miss Ella Merton had her life completely planned out: attend the finest finishing school, be presented at the palace, and marry well - in fact, why not a prince? But now her beloved father has died, her family is bankrupt, and she's being forced to work in the kitchen. Still, she's not willing to give up - if only her two stepsisters weren't so selfish, and that chore boy so familiar, and her godmother so unfashionable - not to mention that ridiculous dog. With no magic wand to wave, can she still make her dreams come true?



No comments:

Post a Comment