Friday, June 7, 2013

The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Muller + Featured Freebie


The Summer I Became a NerdOn the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.
My Rating: 3.5 Roses

Very cute and sweet. The perfect light and fluffy YA romance for summer reading. And I would have absolutely adored this book. Had it not been for one thing...

There is no denying that this book is so cute. It's light and sweet and the kind of book that just makes you smile because it's so adorkable. That "summer reading" element of the book was perfect.

Logan was the epitome of adorkable. Oh my goodness, I just adored him. HE WAS SO CUTE!  I can barely even contain how much I adored him. He was so sweet and dorky and just utterly lovable! Can you tell I'm fangirling over him? *sigh* He was just so amazing.

Now, if all that was perfect, why didn't I love the book? That falls  onto Miss "I Can't Reveal My Inner Nerd and Will Just Hurt Everyone While Trying to Keep it Secret." In other words: Maddie.

At first, I kind of understood why she wanted to keep her comic book obsession on the down low. She was humiliated in the sixth grade because she went to a Halloween party dressed up as a comic book character. It was understandable that she would want to keep that part of her life quiet. But, the lengths she went to keep it a secret. That was baffling to me. It was fine when she was just keeping it a secret and not harming anybody with it. But, when she started being so anal about it that she hurt herself, Logan, and her friends. That's when I got annoyed. I took special issue that she kept hurting Logan, who was nothing but sweet the entire book. And, yet, she insisted on keeping up the charade. It wasn't until she had hurt everyone around her and saw no way to keep her secret and still have friends that she admitted her love of comic books. If anything, why was she friends with people that she thought would abandon her if she showed her true self? Why did she think that the people she called friends would be so shallow? That was kind of insulting to them. Especially because the whole reveal was so anticlimatic compared to the apocalypse that Maddie seemed to think would happen. That whole issue made her seem like a very shallow, weak character. She wasn't a bad person. She could be kind and likable when she wanted to. But, the issue of her "big secret" made her look like she didn't have to guts to own up to herself.

Now, all that doesn't mean that I hated her. I know I was rating about her, but I didn't dislike her. I just didn't like her either. So, what could have been a fantastic book because just a good book. At least she grew up by the end of the book. She finally grew a backbone and admitted to her true self. But, it was too late to endear herself to me.

Despite the Maddie issue, I was kept interested throughout the entire book. The plot was fast paced and kept me engaged. And the ending was cute.

The Summer I Became a Nerd was a good read. I would recommend it to those who want a cute summer read. But, proceed with caution because you might be as annoyed as I was with Maddie. But, I've read several reviews where people really enjoyed this book, so it might be your book.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Entangled Teen for a copy!
_______________________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have another YA book about nerds: Press START for Love by Kira Percy. Go forth and get it for free!

Kylie Gray was your typical nerd, obsessed with video games and not much else. Love had always been something she wanted to find, but figured it was in God’s hands. Then along comes Leon Broadshaw, tall and handsome, and completely clueless about video games. Shocked and appalled, Kylie seeks to remedy the situation with a little marathon of the best video games. And from the moment Leon showed promise in playing video games the rest, as they say, was history. 

But what is teenage love with its trials and tribulations? The halls of a high school are swarming with tests and temptations around every corner. The question is will Kylie and Leon’s love make it to the final level? Or will the boss battle until the Queen of the school stop them dead in their tracks?

Only one way to find out, press ‘Start’ to begin this tale of simple yet strong love!


No comments:

Post a Comment