Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Prince of Shadows Book Blitz: Review + Author Interview

Welcome to my post for the Prince of Shadows book blitz, organized by Bewitching Book Tours. I have a review of this wonderful book coming up, as well as an interview with the author. But, first, allow me to introduce the book:


Prince of Shadows (Moonlight, #8)
A gentle lady held hostage in a deadly play for power, Kendra Terriot’s only means of survival for herself and her family is to play to a careful courtship game. The one she chooses from the dangerous Terriot heirs will inherit the coveted crown, but the one she longs to have rescue her belongs to another.

Favored son of their cruel Shifter leader, the only calm in Cale Terriot’s necessarily violent life is his childhood love for his delicate distant cousin whom he’s pledged to make his queen. With Kendra at his side, he knows he can become the kind of ruler his clan needs, but first he must learn how to become the kind of mate she desires.

In a treacherous race for control, where weakness means death, Cale must prove he’s not the beast his beauty fears and still protect her, especially once her chosen love returns to free her. The only way to win her respect could mean surrendering his throne. The only way to win her heart could mean letting her go.

My Rating: 4 Roses
Inline image 1Inline image 1Inline image 1Inline image 1

Prince of Shadows creates a world set in a cutthroat royal arena where secrets and betrayal are rampant. Add in the prince most skilled in navigating the games, a woman who is unprepared to face all the danger, and sprinkle a heap of romance and we have this spectacular book. Loved it!

The world building was utterly flawless. Though I haven't read the previous books in the series, I never felt lost. The society of shifters and the political games within the royal family were well drawn out and felt truly realistic as I read the book. Kudos to the author for doing such a great job in that.

Kendra took a while to grow on me. At first, she seemed weak willed and a constant damsel in distress. She was not prepared to deal with all the danger and it showed. But, after a while, her own brand of strength showed through. She wasn't an outwardly bold or daring heroine. But, her resilience in dealing with everything that happened proved that she wasn't a wilting flower. And, regardless of her precarious position, she wasn't going to let anyone run all over her, including the king and any of the princes. By the end, I truly liked her character.

Prince Cale was a conundrum as well. Outwardly, he's a ruthless prince who will tear down anyone who dares go against him. But, it doesn't take long to see his mask is only that: a mask. He does what he has to do to survive and protect his loved ones. Underneath that, he's a sweet man, who wants to rule for his people's best interest and would do anything to protect those he loves. I adored him and I think other readers will, as well. 

The romance had a lot of obstacles to overcome, but overcome them it did. There were sparks between Kendra and Cale that had roots in their childhood friendship. They were so sweet together. I loved how utterly devoted they were to each other. Both would face the worst danger just to protect the other. And there was spice between them for sure. Not a huge amount, but enough to keep things interesting.

The plot was well paced. I was never bored, but there were a couple of points where I wasn't riveted because the plot slowed down a bit. Overall, though, I was hooked all the way through. There were thrills to spare, along with surprises, betrayals, and political conspiracy. And the ending tied up the romance while leaving me curious to find out what happens next.

Prince of Shadows was a fantastic paranormal romance. If you're looking for a great PR to read, this is your book.

*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review
_________________________________________________________________________________
Interview:
Nancy Gideon


Nancy Gideon is the author of over 54 novels ranging from historical and contemporary suspense to paranormal with a couple of horror screenplays thrown in. When not at the keyboard or working full time as a legal assistant, she can be found feeding her addictions for Netflix and all things fur, feather and fin.



Please welcome Nancy Gideon, author of Prince of Shadows!

Welcome to Imagine a World! I'm glad you could be here.
Thanks for inviting me, Farrah!! What a beautiful site you have.
What is the hardest part about writing for you? The easiest?
The hardest is the first and last page. They create the first impression and the final emotions the reader will take away. They have to be perfect. The easiest is coming up with the storyline. I LOVE to plot.

If your book was made into a movie, who would you want to play your characters?
I always envision Cale Terriot as Jeremy Renner, my current favorite hot thug bad boy. Those arms . . . Sorry, got distracted for a minute. Kendra would be a vulnerable but strong cross between Clare Danes and Julia Stiles.

What do you do when you get writer’s block?
Mundane things like vacuuming, soaking up Vitamin D on the balcony or driving somewhere. Inspiration never fails to strike when I least expect it and when it’s the most inconvenient.

Are there any authors in particular (living or dead) who inspire you?
Dean Koontz and Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb for their ability to mass produce and never disappoint. I get wonderfully lost in their prose.

Do you have any upcoming books you’re working on? Can you tell us a little about it? 
Fans have been clamoring for a final Max and Charlotte book (the main character couple in the first four ‘By Moonlight’ books) so I’d love to do that. I’m also kicking around a YA paranormal series idea. I recently got the rights back to about 20 of my books written under the name Dana Ransom. The four contemporaries will be coming out through BelleBooks in 2014 and I’m looking for homes for the historical romances.

If you could go back in time (to any time at all), what time period would you go to and why?
The Roaring Twenties. Great clothes, naughty boys, cool cars, hot music and plumbing!
Summer or winter?
Neither. Too humid and too icy here in Michigan. Spring and Fall are my go-to seasons because they bring change and smell good.

Cat or dog?
Can’t have dogs at my apartment so cat it is. But I love all things fur, fin and feather.
Tea or coffee?
Coffee, preferably from my Keurig when I start writing at 5:00 a.m.
Book or movie? 
Both! They stimulate different creative senses. I’m an entertainment-aholic and love my Kindle app and Netflix.

Bad boy or boy next door?
Oh, definitely Bad Boy!!
Thanks for coming!
I thoroughly enjoyed myself! Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment