Saturday, May 4, 2013

My Second Favorite Thing...

And what would that be?
Ancient Egypt.
I love Ancient Egypt. I'm that nerd that fangirls whenever a show about Ancient Egypt comes up on History Channel. Now, why am I mentioning thing?
I've heard about this great new book that is set in Ancient Egypt: KIYA: Hope of the Pharaoh. It has some romance, some action, and a ton of Ancient Egyptian history going on.
So, in honor of its upcoming  release, I'm posting a few fun facts about Egypt.


1) There is supposedly a fourth pyramid on the Giza Plateau. Archaeologists speculate that it was the pyramid of another member of the family of pharaohs that built the famous pyramids of Giza, named Djedefre (I think it's spelled that way). The base of the pyramid was found, but it had been taken apart. It is thought to be because of later rulers of the area taking the pyramid apart to use the stone for other purposes.
2) The Egyptian obelisk is meant to portray a sun's ray frozen in stone. The sun god Amun Ra was the most revered of the Ancient Egyptian gods.
3) The pyramid as a burial site came from the ancient tradition of a burial mound. The mound represented the mound of land that rose from the primordial ocean to become the start of all life.
4) The mummy of Akhenaten was found recently in 2011. After a DNA test between the mummy and Tut's mummy, it was confirmed that the mummy was Tut's father and, therefore, the mummy of Akhenaten. The mummy of Nefertiti has still not been found.
5)  Contrary to popular belief, the Egyptians did not use slaves to build the great pyramids. Excavation near the site of the Great Pyramid found a small village for workers. The village had a hospital, decent housing, and remains of food that the workers were given. The men who built the great pyramids were, in fact, highly skilled and highly prized workers.

Great news: the author of KIYA is hosting a blog hop with a wonderful giveaway to celebrate the release of the book. Click on the hieroglyph below (it spells Kiya) to check out all the info.

3 comments:

  1. Great info there! Thanks for joining in the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    What an interesting blog hop. I might join it one day. I'm also your newest follower! I would really appreciate it if you could come over to my blog to check it out and if you like it, you can follow me as well. I blog about my favourite music and books hence the name Music Plus Books.
    Thank you and good luck,
    Music Plus Books
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete