Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Collector (Dante Walker #1) by Victoria Scott + Featured Freebie

The Collector (Dante Walker, #1)He makes good girls...bad. 

Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.


My Rating: 5/5

Totally freaking amazing! I was expecting a lot from this book and it so delivered. Loved it, loved it, loved it!


This book is not your average YA. It was not predictable, not formulaic. In other words, it was tons of fun. 

Dante was definitely "flippin' awesome"! Oh my gosh, now I see what all the fuss about him was about. He's not a typical YA hero. In fact, he was a bad guy. Not just a bad boy, but a bad guy. He brought souls into hell for Boss Man (aka, the devil). And he loved his job. He loved bringing people into eternal damnation. But, he was still so amazing that it didn't take me long to fall for him completely. His narration made reading this book so fun. His voice was fresh and interesting and his take of the world had me cracking up. His take on things was blunt and honest. And it was great seeing his transition from bad to good...or as good as Dante could ever be. At first his charm and general awesomeness is what made me adore him. But, later, as I saw him change, I started to adore him for being so sweet. For a servant of Satan, he could be so adorable. And I loved how, when he made up his mind to do something, he cast all doubts to the wind and went for it, regardless of any possible consequences. I loved everything about him. I could go on and on about how much I loved Dante, but I'll move on before I start raving too much.

Charlie was wonderful, as well. At first, I wasn't sure what to make of her. She immediately came off as a super nice and sweet girl. But, I didn't know how that would fit with Dante. But, as time went on, she proved herself. She doesn't seem to be much at first glance, but she is one tough chick. In the beginning, she was strong in dealing with all the people who made fun of her for not being pretty. She let the comments just roll off her back and went on with her life. She was determined to remain optimistic no matter what people threw at her. And, she wasn't just nice, she wanted to make a positive change in the world, even creating a charity organization. Later, as she was caught into the world of collectors, she again proved herself to be strong, dealing with all that danger with a stiff spine and a willingness to sacrifice for those she cared about. By the end, I really liked her.

The romance in this book was realistic. It developed steadily and believably. I loved how their relationship helped Dante see that there was good in the world and that it wasn't too late for him to choose it. I loved Dante and Charlie together and I hope that they get to have a happy ending.

The plot of this book was fast paced. I was totally hooked the whole time. There were surprises, twists, and and ending that had me itching to get my hands on book 2. I'm totally hooked on Dante and I can't wait to read more of this story in The Liberator. 

The Collector was SO amazing, a top notch YA paranormal romance. Loved this book! Anyone and everyone should read it!

*Thanks so much to Netgalley and Entangled Teen for a copy!
_______________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a YA that sounds super sweet: Dream in Color by Sara J. Bradley. Go forth and get it for free!

Ramona Simms doesn't live a colorful life. She has a dead end job, a gassy dog, and a mother who believes marriage is the only measure of success for a woman. She dreams her teen idol, the retired rocker Jesse Alexander, will take her away from everything someday, but the only Prince Charming in her real life is her coworker, the persistent, colorless, Virgil.

Then Ramona learns Jesse is coming out of a retirement to do a series of concerts. Convinced this is her destiny calling, Ramona sets out on the journey of a lifetime, dreaming to turn her black and white life to something far more colorful.




No comments:

Post a Comment