Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Loving an Ugly Beast by Danielle Monsch + Featured Freebie

Loving an Ugly Beast (Fairy Tales & Ever Afters)He may be a Beast…

Known as Beast in his village for both his hulking size and multitude of scars, Benton long ago resigned himself to a life without love and was content with his solitary existence. That is until Nissa entered his life.

...but she is no Beauty.

Plain and plain-spoken, Nissa came to the village three years ago looking for a fresh start and a quiet life. She had both until the day her friend Benton disappears and a new man arrives at the village – handsome, charming, and intent on courting her.

A fairy godmother gives Benton his greatest wish. Now that he is a beauty and not a beast, Benton intends to make Nissa fall in love with him. However, scars don’t have to be visible to exist. Will Nissa’s past destroy any chance of their Happily Ever After?




My Rating: 2.5/5

A little conflicted on this one. I liked this book. It was okay, a nice read. But, I didn't love it.

I liked the character. Nissa and Benton were both great, very likable. But, they were incredibly stubborn at the worst times and it was a little frustrating. Nonetheless, I still liked them.

I really liked their relationship. They were in love from the beginning and it didn't matter what form either one took. They adored each other regardless. It was so sweet. and the sparks between these two had me fanning my face. VERY hot.

The story was good. I liked the unique take on Beauty and the Beast. In this case, the beast has nothing to do with inner ugliness, only outer. I think it did a good job of handing the theme of physical beauty without making the story shallow. Rather than inner ugliness, it focuses on inner beauty and how that is most important.

I felt like the plot kind of dragged out. It seemed to me that the story good have been resolved much faster. So, there were points where I started to skim a little. 

The biggest problem for me, however, was the language. It was way too modern. I'm a reader who likes having every detail of the book aid in transporting me to a different world. The fact that the language was modern ruined that for me. If a book is going to be set in the past, in my opinion, the language must follow. This book was in a historical setting, but written as if it were a contemporary. Maybe it's just me, but that was a huge problem. It just ruined the book.

If you don't mind the modern language issue, you should definitely read this book. The story is great. But, if you are like me and would be bothered by it, I would say to be cautious. 

*Thanks to Netgalley and Romantic Geek Publishing for a copy!
______________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a historical romance novella that I really like: To Tame a Dragon by Megan Bryce. Go forth and get it for free!

Lady Amelia Delaney is known for her sharp tongue, no-nonsense attitude, and sizable fortune. Numerous suitors have tried to win her hand-- for the money, for the challenge, and for a rather unfortunate bet. She knows the unflattering reasons behind her numerous proposals; can she ever accept that a man would want to marry her just for herself?

Jameson Pendrake is a devil-may-care dandy who cares for naught but fun and fashion. But behind his laughing green eyes lies a dark history, and he calls off his wedding because of his fear of repeating the past. He can not simply give up on the idea of marriage; a wife is the best defense against the yearly crop of scheming mothers and their frilly daughters. But to allay his fears he needs a woman strong enough to laugh in the face of his past. A woman unflappable, unwavering, and unbroken. He knows just the woman. The trick, it seems, is in getting her to accept.



No comments:

Post a Comment