Saturday, April 13, 2013

How My Summer Went Up in Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski + Featured Freebie

How My Summer Went Up in FlamesFirst she lost her heart. Then she lost her mind. And now she’s on a road trip to win back her ex. This debut novel’s packed with drama and romance!
Rosie’s always been impulsive. She didn’t intend to set her cheating ex-boyfriend’s car on fire. And she never thought her attempts to make amends could be considered stalking. So when she’s served with a temporary restraining order on the first day of summer vacation, she’s heartbroken—and furious.

To put distance between Rosie and her ex, Rosie’s parents send her on a cross-country road trip with responsible, reliable neighbor Matty and his two friends. Forget freedom of the road, Rosie wants to hitchhike home and win back her ex. But her determination starts to dwindle with each passing mile. Because Rosie’s spark of anger? It may have just ignited a romance with someone new…

My Rating: 3/5

A nice, light read. How My Summer Went Up in Flames was a cute book about growing up and moving on. Though I didn't adore it, I definitely liked it.


Rosie was an okay heroine, but she could be rather frustrating. She was very impulsive and that often led to her make really stupid decision and, as it happened, made me want to shake some sense into her. And, I didn't get why she was so determined to talk to her ex, when that was obviously the worst thing she could do at the time. You know, restraining order and all. But, over the course of the book, she slowly grew up and matured. No longer was she impulsive and selfish, she became a strong person who I could respect.

The romance in this book was minimal. It was more of a tool for Rosie's growth. She needed to learn how to deal with her feelings and the feelings of others. And when to walk away. There were a few boys that portrayed her growth in that area.
But, the main guy (I would say love interest, but it was a very minimal addition and they barely got together by the end of the book) was Logan. I didn't think he was a particularly deep character, though he did have some depth. I liked that he would call Rosie out when she was being ridiculous about something, which both satisfied my frustration with her and helped her grow up. 

Spencer and Matty-the other two members of the road trip-were great characters. I really liked them both and I liked how their characters were explored more than an average secondary character.

The plot was okay, though Rosie's determination (read: stubbornness) slowed things down a few times. But, overall, I was kept interested the whole time. And the ending was both realistic and satisfying, which I really liked.

I really liked the road trip aspect of the book. I thought it was very well done and it created an interesting backdrop to the story. From Dolly Parton to hot cowboys, the road trip component of the book was excellent.

How My Summer Went Up in Flames was a good book. I liked it, though I didn't get into it enough to say I loved it. But, I would still recommend it to anyone who wants a nice, light, entertaining read.

*Thanks to Edelweiss and Simon Pulse for a copy!
________________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a YA book that I hosted for previously: Deadly Kisses by Kerri Cuevas. Go forth and get it for free!

Aiden Grant has a killer kiss. Literally. And it’s not every reaper who gets to work with the Sixteenth President. Sure, Honest Abe likes to throw out history lessons with reaping assignments, but when you’re favored by the ancients, grim reaper life is pretty sweet for a newly dead seventeen-year-old.
Then things get messy.

Aiden is assigned to reap the soul of Bee, the only girl he has ever loved. When Aiden’s kiss of death fails, intertwining their souls, she is still very much alive and they are both in trouble. The ancients want Bee, who has special powers of her own, and they’ll do anything to get her.

Some rules are meant to be broken, even if that means Aiden must bargain with his own soul to save Bee. Who knew the afterlife could get so complicated?

1 comment:

  1. Now I am going to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming yet again to read additional
    news.

    my web blog cheap desks 2011

    ReplyDelete