Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Woman Entangled by Cecilia Grant + 2 Featured Freebies

A Woman Entangled (Blackshear Family, #3)An ambitious beauty seeking a spot among the elite is thwarted by a most disruptive gentleman in Cecilia Grant’s witty, elegant, and exquisitely sensual novel. 

Kate Westbrook has dreams far bigger than romance. Love won’t get her into London’s most consequential parties, nor prevent her sisters from being snubbed and looked down upon—all because their besotted father unadvisedly married an actress. But a noble husband for Kate would deliver a future most suited to the granddaughter of an earl. Armed with ingenuity, breathtaking beauty, and the help of an idle aunt with connections, Kate is poised to make her dreams come true. Unfortunately, a familiar face—albeit a maddeningly handsome one—appears bent on upsetting her scheme.

Implored by Kate’s worried father to fend off the rogues eager to exploit his daughter’s charms, Nick Blackshear has set aside the torch he’s carried for Kate in order to do right by his friend. Anyway, she made quite clear that his feelings were not returned—though policing her won’t abate Nick’s desire. Reckless passion leads to love’s awakening, but time is running out. Kate must see for herself that the charms of high society are nothing compared to the infinite sweet pleasures demanded by the heart.


My Rating: 2.5/5

A Woman Entangled could have been absolutely fantastic. To be quite honest, I loved almost every element of the book, except for one very important aspect: the heroine.

Let me just get the bad over with. I didn't like Kate. I thought she was ridiculously shallow with her disregard for anything but her desire to get into society. It's one thing to be determined and I would have understood that. I didn't think her desire to be part of high society was bad. It's just that I didn't understand her stubborn refusal to let that go when new things came up-like falling in love with Nick, who wasn't a high class lord but a mere barrister. I swear, for at least a quarter of the book, Kate mourned not being able to be with Nick, when all she had to do was give up her goal of marrying a lord. Nick made it clear he was willing to be with her if she wanted, but she just couldn't condescend to marry anyone but a lord. And then she had the audacity to be all heartbroken over it. Seriously? It didn't help that she was very vain. It's one thing to know of one's own beauty, it's another to flaunt it and preen over it like Kate did. She would often comment that she knew that men always looked at her because she was just so pretty. She just acted arrogant about it. On top of that, she never considered her parents' feelings about the situation while she was attempting to cozy up to her father's family-the same family that cast her parents out because her father married an actress. She neglected to consider other people's feelings several times. And I though it was so mean how she crushed Nick's heart when he first tried to court her. She kind of just disregarded him and made sure that he knew she wouldn't consider him because he wasn't a lord.

There were some shining moments when Kate acted like a decent person and I almost liked her. She would do something nice or considerate and get points in her favor. However, those moments didn't make up for my frustration with her character. By the end, the best I could say about her was that I didn't dislike her completely.

Now, after that, it may seem like I hated this book. But, I really liked every other part of the book. Though there was no way I could say I really enjoyed a book when the heroine frustrated me, I can say that I enjoyed every other element.

Nick was a darling. I thought it was very sweet how long he has loved Kate-though I can't understand why he did. He was a total gentleman, as well. Everything about him was perfect. I adored him. I could go on and on about how brilliant he was, but I'll stop here.

I liked the development of Kate and Nick's relationship. The growth of their feeling and deepening of their relationship was well done. Though, if I had one complaint about the status of their relationship, I would have to say that the love scenes were a bit lackluster. Though that might just be because of my negative feelings toward Kate.

I really liked the writing style of the book. The flow of the book was smooth and the writing was well done.

The plot was well done. I was hooked from page one, all the way through the book. The ending was nice and sweet.

Everything about this book but the heroine was perfect. Had I liked her, I would have adored this book. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, so I will have to say that this book was just okay-a nice read. If you want to give it a try, I would recommend it, but proceed with caution.

*Thanks to Edelweiss and Bantam for a copy!
_____________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have 2 absolutely wonderful historical romances that are up for free today: Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal by Grace Burrowes and The Gorgon by Kathryn Le Veque. Go forth and get them for free!

1)

Lady Maggie Windham Has Secrets

And she's been perfectly capable of keeping them...until now. When she's threatened with exposure, she turns to investigator Benjamin Hazlit to keep catastrophe at bay. But Maggie herself intrigues Benjamin more than the riddle she's set him to solve. As he uncovers more and more of her past, Maggie struggles to keep him at a distance, until they both begin to discover the truth in their hearts...



2)
An epic Medieval romance written in the same old-world vein as 'Ivanhoe', this is a tremendously powerful story of Sir Bose de Moray and the Lady Summer du Bonne. 
Bose was the Captain of the Guard for King Henry III until Bose's wife's untimely death in childbirth. Blaming himself and wanting to be free of the memories, he resigns his post and joins the tournament circuit to compete for money and fame.

But dark rumors follow Bose; his mother-in-law is a vicious woman who blames Bose for her daughter's death. She starts nasty rumors that Bose murdered his wife, and everyone on the tournament circuit is fearful of this dark, frightening knight.

Enter the Lady Summer du Bonne. A beautiful woman with a stammering problem, she has been kept hidden away from the world by her embarrassed father and protective brothers. Summer meets Bose at a tournament hosted by her brothers and for Bose, it is love at first sight. But the terrible rumors plague his attempts to get to know the lady, who is attracted to him as well. Summer's drunken father eventually pledges his daughter to Bose, but Bose's mother-in-law interferes and Summer's father decides to pledge Summer to an unscrupulous knight who has shown interest in her, and who would like nothing better than to see de Moray come to ruin.

With so many forces working against the, Bose and Summer elope but they are captured and Bose is brought up on charges of thievery. A massive trial ensues and with a death sentence hanging over his head, only a miracle can save Bose and restore his honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment