Friday, February 8, 2013

That Kind Of Woman by Paula Reed + Featured Freebie

That Kind Of Woman"Just tell me why! Why is it that you could break every rule for my brother, but you cannot bend a single one for me?"

Upon the death of his older brother, suddenly Andrew Carrington has everything he never asked for: the title of Earl of Danford, a once-sweet daughter turned rebel, a rakehell younger brother -- and the temptation of his late brother's exquisite widow under his roof. It was scandalous enough when the late earl married the bastard daughter of a duke and his outrageous mistress, but if anyone were to learn the even more shocking secret Miranda Carrington hides, it would hurt everyone she loves, including handsome, take-charge Andrew -- the Carrington brother she wishes she had met first...




My Rating: 3/5

Not my favorite historical romance. I really hoped to like That Kind of Woman but, unfortunately, it didn't work out for me. 


Miranda was kind of frustrating. I didn't understand why she acted the way she did. That quote in the blurb really sums it up. Miranda kept secrets and hid the truth for the old Earl-even though she needn't have. She was quick to forgive him. But, when it came to Andrew, none of that applied and I didn't understand why. With Andrew she acted all high-and-mighty and quite frankly, just irritating. I didn't really like her all that much. From how she was with the old Earl, I could see that she had the capacity for being a kind and likable character. But, for most of the book, she wasn't like that. I could understand her loyalty to her first husband but I didn't get why she used that excuse for so long, especially after she had fallen in love with Andrew. I just got very annoyed with her and it really hampered my enjoyment of the book.

Andrew, on the other hand, was delightful. He was so sweet and I adored him. I loved how he was with his daughter. He regrets having to leave her after his wife died to go to war, even if he didn't have a choice.  And, now, he is trying to make up for it. It was very sweet. Though he had his stubborn moments he was a wonderful hero that was easy to fall for.

The plot of this book was a little slow, mostly because of Miranda. I had to skim in a few places because I was on the verge of getting bored. I enjoyed the outrageous actions of other characters-namely Miranda's parents. And I liked how it ended-though it was a stretch of belief at this time period. 

In the end, I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It was a good read, but not my favorite historical romance. Romance lovers, if you think you can overlook what bothered me, you should give That Kind of Woman a try.

*Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!
______________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a book that sounds very interesting: Plead Forgiveness by Aury Dobsyn. Go forth and get it for free!
Plead Forgiveness (Loyalty Series)

At ten summers, Isabel Mackenzie was banished from her highland clan by her father, Laird Alex Mackenzie; then for eight years forced to assume a false identity as Lady Ella and endure a harsh existence under the guardianship of her aunt’s husband, the Baron of Greystone.
When an English baron seeking reprisal kidnaps Laird Macleod’s nephew, he and his blackguard will stop at nothing to reclaim their kin. Yet, the moment the savage warriors arrive in England and come across Greystone’s ward, their strategy drastically changes. In hopes of exchanging the hellion for his nephew, the powerful laird gives her no choice but to return with him to the highlands of Scotland.

Captivated by her beauty and enthralled by her courageous spirit, Gavin is determined to keep Ella from her dire fate by forcing her to become his wife.

Yet, unbeknownst to him, she is the youngest child and hated daughter of his greatest ally.

No comments:

Post a Comment