Saturday, February 16, 2013

Linked by Imogen Howson + 2 Featured Freebies

Linked
Elissa used to have it all: looks, popularity, and a bright future. But for the last three years, she’s been struggling with terrifying visions, phantom pains, and mysterious bruises that appear out of nowhere.

Finally, she’s promised a cure: minor surgery to burn out the overactive area of her brain. But on the eve of the procedure, she discovers the shocking truth behind her hallucinations: she’s been seeing the world through another girl’s eyes.

Elissa follows her visions, and finds a battered, broken girl on the run. A girl—Lin—who looks exactly like Elissa, down to the matching bruises. The twin sister she never knew existed.

Now, Elissa and Lin are on the run from a government who will stop at nothing to reclaim Lin and protect the dangerous secrets she could expose—secrets that would shake the very foundation of their world.

Riveting, thought-provoking and utterly compelling, Linked will make you question what it really means to be human.


My Rating: 4/5

Started off slow but turned out to be fantastic! Linked was a unique, wonderful book that I adored.


I'm going to be blunt-this book was boring at first. And confusing. For about the first half. But, I kept going with it. Something kept me hooked, despite the slowness. And I'm so glad it did. Because after about halfway in, this book took off and had me on the edge of my seat. The secrets, the thrills, the surprises-they appeared with a vengeance and had me riveted throughout the rest of the book. And it was definitely worth getting through the first half to the awesomeness that was the rest of the book.

Elissa started off as a very unsure character. Her confusion about what she was going through made her a weak character at first. But, it was understandable given her experiences, so I reserved judgement. Then, throughout the book, Elissa grew into a stronger character until, by the end, she was a brilliant heroine that definitely earned my admiration. This girl went through hell to save her world, risking everything to expose the truth. She was definitely a lovely heroine that  I think readers will really like. I definitely did.

Caden was the love-interest in Linked. Though he's not mentioned in the summary, he definitely plays a pivotal role. He was from an unfortunate background and managed to get into pilot school-which is a very big deal in the world of this book because pilots are highly valued. I adored Caden. He was a brilliant character-strong, determined, clever, capable, and willing to risk everything to do what he believes is right. 
He and Elissa didn't have the best relationship at the start of the book. Both hated each other. But, as they went through all the conflict together, their feeling deepened slowly and realistically. They were very sweet together, a lovely couple.

Lin was an interesting character. She has been trapped in a secret research facility and treated as less than human because her genes were manipulated in the womb. So, she sees herself as not human and that puts her in an odd situation. She doesn't understand morals and values of civilization because she was never part of it. It was interesting seeing how she had to adapt to the world and learn right and wrong. The author did a very good job of making her situation seem very realistic. Lin, like Elissa, has a questionable beginning but turns out to be a wonderful heroine. 

The plot of this book, as I mentioned before, didn't start off too well. It was a little confusing and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. And the pace was slow at first. But, after about halfway through, it kicked into high gear and became a thrilling book. The secrets-there were many of them and they were all shocking. They had my jaw dropping. The surprises and thrill had me riveted. And the ending was epic. I don't know if there will be a sequel but most of the story line was tied up but there was a definite opening for another book. I really hope there will be one because I would love to see more of these characters and the world (or worlds) that they live in. 

Despite it's slow start, Linked was a stunning book. Any lover of dystopian, romance, government conspiracies-you should definitely read this book!

*Thanks to Edelweiss and Simon & Schuster for a copy!

_________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have 2 books for you that sound quite lovely: Blood Type by Melissa Luznicky Garrett and The Wishing Well by Holly Zitting. Go forth and get them for free!

1)
Blood Type
Popular girl Blake Ehlert has it all: a prime spot on the cheerleading squad, a jock boyfriend who’s strong and sensitive, and the winning vote for Homecoming Queen two years in a row. But when she strikes up a conversation with loner John Kelly, her entire world starts to crumble.
John Kelly is a vampire—what’s known to his kind as a Compeller. It’s his job to recruit human Donors with a particular blood type.

And Blake is his next target.



2)
The Wishing Well (The Paradan Tales)While hiding from her tormentors, in a wishing well, Aurora falls into the mystical land of Paradan. A place where fairies, trolls, dwarfs, and giants live hand in hand until King Tommit seizes control of the throne. She is then forced into a marriage with the fiendish king to cement his hold on the kingdom. Cassius, the stable boy, rallies the kingdom in order to battle for their freedom. While he continues to fight to rescue the girl he has fallen for.
Aurora accepts her new future to protect Evver, the fairy that has become her lifeline, and Cassius the boy she longs for. Will they be able to stop King Tommit before the vows have been said? Or will Aurora be forced to live her happily ever after with a monster?

2 comments:

  1. When Ι initiallу commented I clickeԁ the "Notify me when new comments are added" сhecκbox and nοw each time a comment iѕ adԁed
    I get four e-mails with thе ѕame cоmment.
    Iѕ therе any ωay you сan
    remoѵe me fгom that service?
    Thanκs a lot!

    Here іs my webρage snowmobile rentals in massachusetts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey theгe ωοuld you minԁ stating ωhich blоg platfοrm уou're working with? I'm going to staгt my own blog
    soon but I'm having a tough time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm
    looκіng for something comρletely unіque.
    Ρ.S Mу aроlogiеs for gеttіng off-topic but I haԁ tо aѕk!


    Also visіt my site blogs.sek.net

    ReplyDelete