Monday, February 25, 2013

2 Reviews: Legasea + Death by Chocolate + Featured Freebie


Legasea
Hello, everyone! Since both of these reviews are short, I decided to post them together. Enjoy!

When sixteen-year-old Aileen Shay sees a dead girl floating in the bay during a midnight yacht party, she never imagines Jamie Flannigan, her new boyfriend, may be involved. The only thing she knows about Jamie is that he personifies the one thing she has been drawn to her entire life – the ocean. But as she grows closer to him, she realizes he knows more about the murder than he's telling. When another girl is attacked, and Jamie refuses to answer her questions, Aileen searches for answers on her own. 
Aileen learns that Jamie's family belongs more to myths and legends than they do in the real world. They are selkies, and after the Flannigans threaten her family, Aileen suspects they are responsible for both attacks.

But they aren't the only ones in her small fishing town who can keep a secret. As Aileen uncovers the truth about the murder, the selkies, and her own family, she learns why her soul is bonded to the sea. But with that revelation comes a choice – to permanently sever her connection with the water, which comes at a painful cost, or embrace a legacy that just might get her killed

My Rating: 2/5

Unfortunately, this wasn't my favorite book. I really liked the idea, but it fell a little flat.


The characters in this book were kind of confusing. I was never quite sure where any of the character's stood. I'm okay with having one character not be set in a role-in fact, I think that's a good thing since it adds drama and mystery to a book-but when I feel like every character is like that, it just throws me off. So, I felt confused during the entire book.

I liked the idea for this book, and it was explained okay, though it could have been better. The whole selkie thing was fascinating. 

One thing bothered me in particular. Aileen, at the end of the book, decides that she thinks selkies are evil and manipulative creatures. However, someone VERY close to her is a selkie and she never thought bad about that person. Yet, she spent quite a bit of time hating on selkies. I just thought that was rather inconsistent. And Aileen was rather frustrating in general. She wasn't my favorite heroine. I found her to be obtuse and prone to complain. Obviously, with a less than likable heroine, it made it very difficult to like the book. 

I really don't like having to say this, but I didn't really like Legesea. I thought the idea was excellent and that it could have been done so well, but, unfortunately, that didn't happen for me.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Curiosity Quills for a copy!
_______________________________________________________________________

Death by ChocolateAt seventeen years old, Julie deals with more problems than most teenagers her age. After getting into an argument with her ex-boyfriend’s new girlfriend, she runs away from school. Quickly homeless and broke, her escape to Las Vegas leads her to an old Gypsy woman she meets outside of a supermarket when begging for food.
Julie’s hungry and heartbroken. She wants to find shelter from the rain and forget a life she has been despising for years. When the Gypsy offers to read her future in exchange for a meal, the challenge sounds like a dare. The tarot cards reveal a great destiny, and a perilous journey. What else can go wrong that hasn’t already happened? Julie finds the whole act entertaining until the Gypsy gives her a red heart shaped box containing twelve chocolates, and orders her to eat one.

Julie wakes up in an unwelcoming world filled with danger. A boy named Evan introduces himself as her guide, but will he really help her when she needs him the most? Demons of a long forgotten past haunt her dreams and seek revenge for something she doesn’t remember. Too many questions receive too little answers.

Reality and fantasy have melted to become one never ending nightmare where failure equals death. Will Julie accept the truth to survive?


My Rating: 2/5

I didn't quite get this book.  Death by Chocolate had a very interesting idea but it didn't turn out quite as well as I hoped it would be.

I got about halfway through this story, then had to just start skimming because I was so confused. It just didn't understand what was going on. I honestly can't tell you may true opinion of this book because I was unable to even follow what was going on.

On the bright side, the ending of this book had a cliffhanger that was very intriguing. I assume that there will be a sequel, so I might try that one based on that ending. The ending truly saved the whole story, though it didn't make up for the whole thing.

I hate to have to say bad things about a book, but Death by Chocolate was underwhelming. Not my favorite book.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Curiosity Quills for a copy!
____________________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have an interesting sounding YA Paranormal Romance: Ageless by Cege Smith. Go forth and get it for free!
Ageless

A girl's obsession with the Fountain of Youth leads her to her destiny in this YA paranormal thriller.
On the eve of her eighteenth birthday, Violet Swanson's world is filled with thoughts of finals and college applications. Raised by her grandparents, and sent to a private high school, Violet has lived a sheltered life. All of that changes the night a group study date goes awry. Violet realizes her friends are involved in a dangerous game with things that aren't supposed to exist.


When a pair of handsome, mysterious brothers kidnaps Violet, she finds out the myth of the Fountain of Youth may not be a myth after all. Violet's past holds the key to the Fountain's location She has to decide whether she can trust them, or if she needs to escape from them.

All will be revealed on Violet's birthday, but only if she survives to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment