Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Taken by Storm by M.J. Schiller + Featured Freebie

Taken by Storm
Born from the fire of a palace coup, the relationship between the king of Avistad’s son Prince Tahj and the captive girl Bashea burns with a passion that neither of them quite understands. The pair is drawn closer together as they face enemy soldiers, a screaming panther, even the scathing winds of a desert storm.

After what she has been through, Bashea is afraid to trust and her fiery nature is both what appeals to Tahj and what drives him crazy. It takes a long separation to bring them back to each other, but when Tahj does return, it is once again during a battle with his greatest enemy, Lord Boltar. But now Lord Boltar, who has been forced beyond reason by Tahj’s success in retaking the throne, is an even more dangerous threat than before. Reunited, will Tahj and Bashea be strong enough to defeat their twisted and powerful enemy?


My Rating: 4/5

A different romance, but lovely all the same! I really enjoyed this unique romance.

I loved seeing Middle Eastern culture represented in romance. We see a lot of European and Old West, but the Middle East is largely ignored in the realm of romance, so it was nice seeing someone take on the culture. And it was definitely a success.

Bashea was such a strong character. She went through so many terrible things, but she still remained strong. Not only that, but she met each successive challenge head on, determined to defy the odds. I can't say anything negative about her, because she was a completely lovely character.

Tahj (love that name-btw, it mean crown in Arabic) was a perfect hero. After having his throne taken from him by his uncle, he is determined to gather up support and win back his kingdom. And, along the way, he picks up Bashea. Tahj was everything a hero should be-sweet, strong, clever, determined. It was very easy to fall for him. And it definitely helps that he is very attractive ;)

I loved seeing Bashea and Tahj together. They were such a sweet couple. Their attraction is instantaneous but the relationship develops slowly. They were mostly a sweet couple, with just a hint of spice. But, for those who want to know, it was a clean romance. I loves these two as a couple and I was so glad that they got their happy ending.

The plot of this book moved quickly, but I wish it had been more seamless. There were points where the plot jumped too quickly and I was lost for a few pages, until I regained my bearings. It wasn't a terrible problem, but it was enough that it made me knock off a point.
The ending was perfect-a nice and sweet romance ending that will leave you smiling.

Taken by Storm is a lovely romance. To any lovers of the genre, you should definitely give it a try!

*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review
_________________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have The Last Lord of Paradise by Vivian LeMay. I recently read this short book and here's what I thought:
The Last Lord of Paradise - Generation One Jeanne & Anton (The Last Lord of Paradise a Family Saga of Early Michigan French)I remembered that autumn day when a party from the Compagnie Franche de la Marine visited our village. They came to recruit men for the war in New France and Papa allowed them into our orchard. I was only sixteen, enchanted by the handsome young marines in their blue uniforms...
It was the sparkle of energy in his blue eyes that caught me, and I smiled. His gaze was so intense I thought he'd pierced my soul and as he bowed to kiss my hand, his very presence dominated me. Anton had that affect on everyone he met.

We wed quickly and weeks later Anton was called to war. It was now nine years since I saw my husband. There were a few letters from him during the war, before France surrendered her lands in North America to the British--after the surrender, nothing. Our troops came home, but not Anton. I fought off the bitterness, and tried to hope, but there had been no word at all for the last five years.

Then last winter Monsieur Lavelle arrived at our chateau with a letter from Anton. His letter invited me to join him in the wilderness of Canada at his own secret settlement called Paradis. Anton sent Monsieur Lavelle for me, because he was clearing land, planting crops and building a home for me. It said nothing about where Anton was for all those years, but my husband was alive. He still loved me and wanted me with him. I thought only of Anton and the future as I packed my trunk that very day.

Surprisingly good..
The Last Lord of Paradise was a different romance with a VERY different ending. If you want interesting and unpredictable, you've found your book.
I liked the character development in this book. Though it's short, I still felt like there was enough character development that I still got to know the characters.
Jeanne was an admirable heroine. She is an easy character to like. Her ending was heart breaking. If you're one of those people who cries easily when they read, you'll be bawling your eyes out.
Anton, on the other hand, was very easy to dislike. I really liked how the author made him first seem lovely, then slowly brought in suspicion onto his character before she revealed his true nature. It was very well done.
The ending, as you've probably inferred, is very sad. But, though I prefer happy endings, I still enjoyed it because it was very well done.
To those looking for a different kind of romance, you should definitely try this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment