Monday, December 10, 2012

Wicked Kiss (Nightwatchers #2) by Michelle Rowen + Featured Freebie

Wicked Kiss (Nightwatchers, #2)

MY KISS CAN KILL.

I used to be ordinary Samantha Day, but that's changed. Now, after one dark kiss from a dangerous boy, I can steal someone's soul...or their life. If I give in to the constant hunger inside me, I hurt anyone I kiss. If I don't...I hurt myself.

Bishop is the one whose kiss I crave most, but if I kiss him, I'll kill him. Then there's another boy, one I can't hurt. One whose kiss seems to miraculously quell my hunger. They're both part of a team of angels and demons that's joined forces in my city to fight a mysterious rising darkness, an evil that threatens everyone I know and love. I just wonder if I'll be able to help Bishop-or if I'm just another part of the darkness he's sworn to destroy....

NIGHTWATCHERS

When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...


My rating: 5/5

Brilliant sequel! I LOVED the first book, Dark Kiss, and Wicked Kiss was just as good! So much happens and so much is found out...it just left me speechless.


Samantha has grown into an ever stronger character. She was an impressive heroine in book one and has only grown more admirable. She finds out more about her parents-and, let me tell you, it made my jaw drop-and grows more powerful. Despite being surrounded by all powerful beings, she still holds her own and doesn't let anyone run right over her. Once again, tons of character growth that made her even more likable.

During the first book, I was a little shaky about Bishop. But, throughout the course of this book, I started to really adore him. His character matures as much as Sam's did. He comes to terms with his feelings for Sam and is very sweet about it. Their relationship develops very well and realistically. I can't say too much about it because I will give away so much but I will say that it was incredibly fun and, at the end, a huge surprise. 

And on that vague note, I'll move on.

Kraven is still amazing. I adored him in book one and I still have a soft spot for the sarcastic demon. He's just incredible. We find out about his past as well as Bishop's. To say it was shocking would be a gross understatement. I was blown away. I never saw it coming. It had me questioning so many things. It answered quite a few questions but raised even more. 

The other characters featured more and I started to get more attached to them. Even Roth, who reveals a softer side of himself. 

There are a few character deaths. They were very emotional. The grief was so well written within the story that I could truly feel that sadness. But the deaths worked to motivate the lead characters to take action against the threat. 

The plot was thrilling and kept me hooked right from the beginning until the very last page. SO much happens in this book that I truly felt speechless at the end. So many shocking secrets are uncovered. And that ending blew me away. I'm still trying to digest it. Wow, was it epic! And now I'm anxiously awaiting the next book so that I can find out what happens next.

Wicked Kiss was absolutely amazing. Even better than the first book. If you liked book one, you will adore book 2. Truly spectacular!

Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin TEEN for a copy!
________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a YA book based on the myth of Cupid and Psyche that I absolutely adored: Painted Blind by Michelle Hansen. Seriously, this book is fantastic and now revamped with a new cover. You can see my review of it here. Go forth and get it for free!
Painted Blind: A Modern Retelling of the Myth of Cupid & Psyche

Psyche Middleton vows her dad will never see the risqué photos she took during a summer modeling stint abroad, but one of them ends up on a billboard in her Montana hometown, where everyone—especially her dad—can see it. That becomes the least of her worries when she meets Erik, a mysterious guy who rescues her from a mob and who she’s never actually seen because he can make himself invisible.


Erik takes her to his palace in an idyllic kingdom, and she is swept into the beauty and culture of his world, but his affection has one condition: she may not see him. Enchanted, intrigued, and not wholeheartedly believing he’s real, Psyche can’t bring herself to love him blindly. When she betrays his trust for a glimpse of his face, Psyche ends up at the mercy of Erik’s controlling mother, who demands that Psyche prove herself in order to be reunited with him. Psyche knows love is never easy, but this is ridiculous. She agrees to complete three impossible tasks to prove her devotion to Erik—or die trying.

This modern retelling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche is a fantastical journey filled with laughter, danger, and the indomitable power of love.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand, Wicked Kiss hasn't been released yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Wicked Kiss hasn't been released yet. I obtained an early copy from the publisher in exchange for a review. And I'm very glad a was able to, because the book was excellent :)

      Delete