Monday, December 3, 2012

The Wicked Wedding of Miss Ellie Vyne by Jayne Fresina + Featured Freebie

The Wicked Wedding of Miss Ellie Vyne
By night Ellie Vyne fleeces unsuspecting aristocrats as the dashing Count de Bonneville. By day she avoids her sisters' matchmaking attempts and dreams up inventive insults to hurl at her childhood nemesis, the arrogant, far-too-handsome-for-his-own-good, James Hartley.

James finally has a lead on the villainous, thieving Count, tracking him to a shady inn. He bursts in on none other than "that Vyne woman..".in a shocking state of dishabille. Convinced she is the Count's mistress, James decides it's best to keep your enemies close. Very close. In fact, seducing Ellie will be the perfect bait...



I feel terrible to say this, but The Wicked Wedding of Miss Ellie Vyne was a disappointment. I really liked The Most Improper Miss Sophie Valentine, so I was hoping I would like this book as well. But it didn't turn out that way.

The good part about this book, before I go into the negatives, was the story itself. The plot was good. Not brilliant, but good. The ending was cute and left a smile on my face.

But, everything else didn't go too smoothly. For one thing, the pace was too slow. The plot tended to drag. And, obviously that makes for a dull book.

The biggest problem, however, was the main characters. Ellie and James. For some reason, I couldn't connect to them. I didn't dislike them, but I didn't like them either. I just couldn't get emotionally invested in them. 

Ellie was the worst of the two. She tended to be mean-spirited. 
For no justifiable reason, she would be mean to James. I know he was unkind to her in the past, but it was, like, ten years ago. Why is she still holding a youthful folly against him, even when he's trying to be nice? I just couldn't make myself feel sympathy for her, even with her messy past and less than perfect current situation. And obviously, not liking the heroine really put a damper on my enjoyment of the book.

James was a little better. He was charming and could be sweet. But, even so, I still couldn't connect with him. That was his issue. Despite all the things to recommend him, it was still difficult to connect with him. And the relationship between James and Ellie was passionate. But that passion tended to release in constant arguments between the two that became rather trying after a while.

The characters. That was the problem. I couldn't connect with them, so I couldn't enjoy the book. And I'm rather disappointed about that. I didn't hate this book. I didn't even dislike it. I just didn't particularly like it.

So, sorry, but: 2/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!
_______________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
I have two contemporaries for you today; Hired by the Cowboy by Donna Alward and The Italian's Inexperienced Mistress by Lynn Graham. Both sound like really great reads. Go forth and get them for free!

Hired by the CowboyWanted: one contract bride!

Alexis Grayson is good at looking after herself—she's been doing it all her life. So what if she's alone and pregnant? She'll cope! But gorgeous cowboy Connor Madsen seems determined to take care of her. And Alexis can help him—he needs a temporary wife; she needs somewhere to live until the baby's born. A short-term marriage will solve all their difficulties!

As Alexis gets to know the courageous, honorable Connor, she realizes that she might have made the biggest mistake of her life. Because all this wife-for-hire wants is a marriage for real! 


The Italian's Inexperienced MistressWhen Angelo sought revenge Gwenna Hamilton added another delicious dimension. Innocent and pretty, she didn't stand a chance when the Italian tycoon offered her the devil's bargain: pay for her father's freedom with her body.

In her naiveté, Gwenna thought that Angelo would tire of her and her innocence very quickly. But he had more in mind that just one night...




No comments:

Post a Comment