Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Dead And Buried by Kim Harrington + Featured Freebie

The Dead And Buried

A haunted house, a buried mystery, and a very angry ghost make this one unforgettable thriller.

Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.

Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?



My rating: 5/5
I adored Kim Harrington's Clarity, so I was really hoping that The Dead and Buried would be just as good. And, let me tell you, it was even better! I adored this book. It was haunting, thrilling, mysterious, and with just a touch of sweet romance. 


The ghost aspect of this book was so deliciously creepy. It had chills going down my spine. Seriously, the creepiness is so well done that you may not want to read this alone at night. I absolutely loved that. I love everything dark and creepy, so I love that factor in this book.

Jade was a wonderful heroine. She deals with everything the ghost of Kayla throws at her, in addition to reaction to other students at school to her living in the house of a dead girl and a rocky relationship with her stepmother, and still manages to come out on top. That definitely won my admiration. She was also very protective of her adorable little brother, which, as an older sister, I really had to appreciate. I loved her as a heroine. She is definitely on my list of favorite YA heroines. 

The romance in The Dead and Buried is, obviously, not the main focus. But it was clearly there, lending some sweetness to an otherwise creepy book. Donovan (love that name) was a total sweetheart. Though they can't be together publicly until Kayla is taken care of-I'll let you find out why yourself-their relationship was still very sweet. Donovan definitely won his way into my heart. I adored him and I adored him and Jade as a couple.

The mystery in this book is very well done.  I'm pretty sure I transferred my suspicions to every character in the book except for Donovan. I totally didn't expect who was responsible for the murder. It was a huge shock, one that completely blew me away. One aspect that I particularly liked about this book was the inclusion of excerpts from Kayla's diary. It lent a unique aspect to the book. You get to see how Kayla saw the world and it doesn't lend a lot of sympathy her way. But it also makes her seem more human and not just a terrorizing ghost, so I really liked that.

The plot of the book moved quickly and the ending was a perfect wrap-up. All the loose ends were tied with a nice, happy ending. 

I adored The Dead and Buried. Anyone who likes a creepy, mysterious, romantic YA, this is your book.

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!
___________________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have a historical romance that I adore: With This Kiss by Victoria Lynne. Go forth and get it for free!
With This Kiss
Beauty and the beast: they were the scandal of the ton. 

All eyes feasted on the beautiful flame-haired gambler in London’s most infamous club. But Julia Prentisse was interested only in the rake-turned-recluse whom they now called “The Beast.” She lured him out of the crowded gaming hell to a deserted warehouse, where she made her scandalous offer: If he married her and protected her from her uncle, she would help him capture the arsonist who had ruined his life.

An act of heroism had left Morgan St.James burned, scarred for life, but Julia’s bold gaze lit other fires he had long suppressed. And now this glorious stranger was his bride. But when he tried to claim his husbandly rights, she demanded three months grace—three months to know a stranger’s mind, to touch a stranger’s soul, to go where no woman had ever gone before. Into his heart…

No comments:

Post a Comment