Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries #1) by Michele Vail

Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)
The day I turned 16, my boyfriend-to-be died. I brought him back to life. Then things got a little weird...

Molly Bartolucci wants to blend in, date hottie Rick and keep her zombie-raising abilities on the down-low. Then the god Anubis chooses her to become a reaper-and she accidentally undoes the work of another reaper, Rath. Within days, she’s shipped off to the Nekyia Academy, an elite school that trains the best necromancers in the world. And her personal reaping tutor? Rath. Who seems to hate her guts.

Rath will be watching closely to be sure she completes her first assignment-reaping Rick, the boy who should have died. The boy she still wants to be with. To make matters worse, students at the academy start turning up catatonic, and accusations fly-against Molly. The only way out of this mess? To go through hell. Literally.



I'm a little conflicted about this book. I had hoped to love Undeadly, but I just liked it.

Going into it, I though the whole reaper concept was nice. I've only read a couple of other books that feature reapers, so I was happy to see a new one. Then, after a few chapters, I realize that the book is based in Ancient Egyptian mythology. Now, this made me ecstatic. I adore Ancient Egypt and having some of its mythology featured in a book should make it an automatic winner in my book. I should have loved this book. But it didn't turn out the way I hoped. 

Let me start with the good. 
Molly was a strong character. Her reactions to the changes in her life were very realistic. She denied it at first, but came to accept it, and, later, to thrive in it. Her ability to handle everything that was thrown at her was admirable. 

Rath was fun. He loved to mess with Molly and it was hilarious. But, when it came down to it, he protected her as best as he could. He was strong and clever and a delightful hero. Not to mention the fact that he is delightfully handsome :) The romance was light-as in, barely there-but the flashes of it were sweet.

The ending of the book was a shocker. It was a definite cliff-hanger. It left me insanely curious to find out what happens next.

But, there were a few things that I didn't like as much. 
The language used seemed overdone. I think the author was trying to make it seem like it really was a teenager narrating the book. But it was overdone. Teenagers don't talk like that. I should know. Teenagers don't talk that flippantly. And life doesn't contain that many cliches. I get what the author was trying to do, trying to make it relate-able but it overreached. 

The other main problem was that the plot took awhile to move along. It tended to be slow. Not boring, but my attention wasn't held as much as it should have been to make it really interesting. It pick up during the last quarter and really caught my attention. And a nice twist and cliffhanger at the end made it worth the read. 

Two major problems knocked off a couple of points. But I still liked Undeadly and I think that anyone who won't be bothered by the problems that bothered me will love this book. I would still recommend this book to anyone who likes YA paranormal romance.

3/5

Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin TEEN for a copy!

P.S. Happy election day! Go out and vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment