Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Bridegroom Wore Plaid (MacGregor Trilogy #1) by Grace Burrowes

The Bridegroom Wore Plaid (MacGregor Trilogy, #1)
In an effort to preserve the family estate, Ian MacGregor, the Earl of Balfour, must marry for money. When a promising match emerges in the form of Genie Daniels, a rich English heiress, Ian begins devising a strategy to woo her. When he meets Genie's poor cousin Augusta, he discovers a new avenue to Genie's heart. But after spending time with Augusta and falling for her charms, Ian begins to question whether or not he's willing to forfeit his heart to save the family name...

The Bridegroom Wore Plaid was a lovely read, full of sweet and passionate romance. Historical romance lovers, you will adore this!

I loved all the characters in this book. They were all well drawn out and interesting in their own right. I especially liked how there were four love stories in this book. Though the story of Ian and Augusta is the main story, there is a romance between three other sets of couples, each of which had me engaged and rooting for the couples.  I was fond of them all.
But, for now, let's talk about the main couple.

Augusta has forced herself to be content with her life, despite the tragedy that she had to endure with her parents' death and her subsequent impoverishment. She toughed up and decided to make the best of the situation. Just for that, I already liked her. But she was also loyal to her family and determined when she set her mind to it. Altogether, a lovely character.

Ian was lovely, as well, though a bit frustrating. I could understand why he would marry for money when he didn't have someone he loved to turn away from. But, after he fell in love with Augusta, I didn't understand why he still clung to that idea. Especially since his brothers were constantly telling him that he needn't marry, that it wasn't vital. That just frustrated me. But, beyond that, I did like Ian. Not only is he magnificently handsome, but he was also sweet to Augusta and loyal to his clan. He was a sweetheart and he'll win you over right away.

Each of the other couples were lovely in their own right. I don't want to give up the pairings, I'll let that be a surprise. But each couple won my heart and I was so happy when each got their happy ending.

The plot was fast-paced and didn't settle for any dull moments. Though the story is somewhat predictable, The Bridegroom Wore Plaid is a book that I would recommend to anyone for a fun read that will leave you smiling, especially with its sweet ending.

This book is a definite winner: 5/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment