Sunday, November 25, 2012

My Heart Be Damned (Damned #1) by Chanelle Gray + Featured Freebie

My Heart Be Damned (Damned, #1)
Amerie Carter has the blood of a Hunter, unfortunately. She is one of a rare line of women who, upon her sixteenth birthday, will come into extraordinary powers used to hunt the Damned; escaped souls from Hell who take up residence in human bodies. It's supposed to be her sweet sixteen, but Amerie has never dreaded a day more, and her worst fears are confirmed as the celebration turns tragic when her mother is killed.

Grief-stricken, Amerie vows to never hunt a day in her life. She's determined to hide behind normalcy, attending school, hanging out with her friends and working an after-school job at The Hut. All Amerie wants is to be left alone. But try telling the Damned that. The harder Amerie tries to ignore her powers, the more the Damned come looking for her.

When an attack leaves one of Amerie's friends in the hospital, and endangers the lives of her fellow students, she knows she has no choice: Hunt or Be Hunted. Thankfully, the gorgeous, secretive, and so-off-limits Marshall offers to train Amerie to take out her supernatural enemies. But training with Marshall means lying to her friends, her family, and confronting the mysterious circumstances surrounding her mother’s death.

Amerie soon discovers she’s not the only one with something to hide, Marshall's secrets might kill her before the Damned get the chance


My rating: 5/5


Wow! That definitely exceeded my expectations. I loved it! 
When I read the summary for My Heart Be Damned, I was intrigued but worried. The plot was the kind that could easily be done wrong. But, Ms. Gray totally pulled it off!

Amerie is one hell of a heroine. She's been mourning her mother's death and has decided that being a Hunter killed her mother. And, of course, she is determined not to be drawn into being a Hunter. I thought that her stubbornness would bother me, but it was done in such a way that not only was I okay with it, but I understood it. With everything about all the characters, they were so well drawn out that I felt that I was reading about real people whose decisions and emotions were realistic. But, back to Amerie. That girl was tough. When it came down to it, she could fight everything the Damned threw at her and still land on her feet. She was an admirable heroine that anyone could like.

Marshall was SO amazing, I just fell head over heels for him. He was so sweet and strong and just the perfect hero. Despite the circumstances of their meeting and relationship, Marshall still obviously cares for Amerie and it was so endearing. There is a bit of "no, we must not be together" going on, but I didn't mind because it wasn't over-dramatized (yes, I'm looking at you Edward). Marshall and Amerie's relationship grew realistically. It started as a mutual attraction, then grew and simmered into real love. It was so well done that I could feel the emotions of the characters grow as they did. Once again, brilliantly done characterization. 

The plot doesn't drag about. It starts on the first page and doesn't slow down for a minute. The ending was satisfying but it left a lead in into book 2. No cliffhangers, though. Most of the loose ends were tied, which was really nice. I love a good cliffhanger, but it was nice to read a first book in a series that didn't attempt to shock as much as possible. Just a nice change from the usual.

My Heart Be Damned is an amazing YA. Anyone who loves action, twists, secrets, paranormal madness, or romance, this book is for you.

____________________________________________
Featured Freebie:
Today, I have Almost Perfect by Denise Domning. This book is an excellent read written by one of my favorite authors. Go forth and get it for free!
Almost PerfectOne broken urn, one fallen earl and a kiss for a wager.
Add Scotland, an ace up a noble sleeve and a runaway card sharp,
then let the chase begin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment