Monday, November 26, 2012

Darkness Falls Tour

I've reviewed all three of the Darkness Falls books on Imagine a World and made no secret of how much I adored them. The final book, Wilde's Meadow, has recently been released and, wow, was it an emotional roller coaster. That book had me happy, sad, angry, and, by the end, I was both emotionally exhausted and absolutely thrilled about the outcome.

I had a chance to get an interview with Krystal Wade, author of the fantastic Darkness Falls series. Here's how it went:


1) The geography of Encardia is very beautiful, though desolate because of the circumstances. Did you base the land on any place in particular?
Well, truthfully I set up Encardia similarly to Virginia; though with the Darkness ravaging the land, realizing that landscape is difficult. I love Virginia, the lush, green forests, the rolling hills, the Blue Ridge Mountains, the weather. I let my love of the state flow into my writing, both while Kate traversed "this world" and Encardia.


2) Where did you get the idea for the mythology? 
I studied Norse mythology . . . for weeks. Seriously, I sat at the computer and looked up different gods and goddesses of multiple mythologies, and finally I liked Freyr and Freya most. Griandor and Gramhara were built off the two of them, but I used mythology only to set up the "universe". The powers, problems, etc, are all things I give credit to my imagination for.


3) Do you think that the characters reflect parts of you? If so, how?
Darkness (not Dughbal, but the literal Darkness) represents my teenage years. The overbearing fear and solitude I felt, the never knowing my future but trusting things would turn out okay, the constant attacks by things hidden within the ever-present blackness . . . sounds terrible, huh? Well, my teenage years weren't awesome.

I believe Kate represents who I wanted to be, and Brit and Flanna represent who I could be--I'm quite sarcastic and blunt--when free of Darkness.

4) Which of the characters if your favorite?
Flanna and Perth. Everyone loves Flanna in the first book, but she's "human". She experiences a great loss, and to not show the grief a person goes through after losing a loved one would be unrealistic. She wants so badly to be witty and sarcastic, but she hurts so much that everything comes out all wrong. I love that about her, and I loved writing it.

Perth was a blast to write. I wanted to hate him. I wanted to pin every problem on him, but he wore on me. I think I fell in love with him along the way.

5) Which character would you be willing trade lives with?
Err . . . Muriel. I can't say more than that.

6) Now that the Wilde's series is concluded, do you have any plans for future books?
I'm writing Shattered Secrets (working name), and it's main character is based on the personality traits of my middle child. Tagline: Abigail Nichols must decide if she trusts the boy she loves, a book that knows more about her than she does, or her instincts, because if she doesn’t, her world just might shatter.

Thanks so much Krystal. BTW, your new book sounds great :)

To everyone, thank you for coming!

WM.jpg
Happy endings are hard to find, and even though Katriona is in the middle of a war with someone who’s already stolen more than she can replace, she aches for a positive future with her DraĆ­ochtans.

Armed with hope, confidence in her abilities, and a strange new gift from her mother, Kate ventures into the Darkness to defeat a fallen god.

Losses add up, and new obstacles rise to stand in the way. Is the one determined to bring Encardia light strong enough to keep fighting, or will all the sacrifices to stop those who seek domination be for nothing?

ME.jpg
About the Author: Krystal Wade can be found in the sluglines outside Washington D.C. every morning, Monday through Friday. With coffee in hand, iPod plugged in, and strangers--who sometimes snore, smell, or have incredibly bad gas--sitting next to her, she zones out and thinks of fantastical worlds for you and me to read. How else can she cope with a fifty mile commute?

Good thing she has her husband and three kids to go home to. They keep her sane.

1 comment: